Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby goes very pale, almost grey??, when asleep - normal???

(41 Posts)
Crossandratty Sat 13-Oct-12 16:53:51

Is this normal?? Thanks

dustyhousewithdustypeople Sat 13-Oct-12 16:57:40

Mine did that, so scary! Had to keep poking him. He's 5 now still does it, although not so alarmingly.

InVeryveryBadTaste Sat 13-Oct-12 16:58:25

hhmm, not a doctor or medical professional just a mum of 3 and I dont think this sounds right tbh. Does this happen every time and been happening for a while or is it something new?

If new please call nhs24 - dont want to panic you but dont think this is ok

Actually give nhs24 a call regardless

Crossandratty Sat 13-Oct-12 17:02:35

Well she's only 3 weeks, and for the last two she was jaundiced and then very pink, so it's really only this last week that I've noticed. My husband hasn't though so maybe I'm paranoid, or he's Unobservant. She's got a bad cold so I'm a bit concerned she's not getting enough oxygen as she's quite blocked up??. Or does that sound silly???

Crossandratty Sat 13-Oct-12 17:03:24

Well she's only 3 weeks, and for the last two she was jaundiced and then very pink, so it's really only this last week that I've noticed. My husband hasn't though so maybe I'm paranoid, or he's Unobservant. She's got a bad cold so I'm a bit concerned she's not getting enough oxygen as she's quite blocked up??. Or does that sound silly???

toomuch2young Sat 13-Oct-12 17:04:47

It doesn't sound silly, it may well be nothing but please ring NHS as advised for professional advice.

nickeldaisical Sat 13-Oct-12 17:04:56

if you're worried contact your doctor.
smile

GobblersKnob Sat 13-Oct-12 17:06:47

I think a quick call to NHS direct sounds like a good idea. I really would do that right now.

NHS Direct, or phone your midwife or delivery ward. I know she is a few weeks old but I'd really get get her looked at. Promptly.

And don; get fobbed off with neurotic mum.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 13-Oct-12 17:15:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toomuch2young Sat 13-Oct-12 23:54:22

Did you ring op? Let us know how you got on, hoping all is well.

nannyof3 Sun 14-Oct-12 00:09:27

I would ring nhs direct

mawbroon Sun 14-Oct-12 11:06:26

DS1 always looked really grey whilst asleep when he was small. I didn't realise at the time, but he was tongue tied with a high palate and suffered from sleep apnoea, which also means less oxygen in the system.

I thought it was normal, but now Idon't

spiderbabymum Sun 14-Oct-12 11:16:12

Sorry but this sounds worrying .

Please get her checked out .

Doesnt sound right .

Very easy thing to put an oxygen monitor on her and monitor her .
Good luck

BillyBollyBandy Sun 14-Oct-12 11:18:28

I would get it checked

They told me with dd2 to look for blue-ness around the lips and if we saw it to take her straight to hospital.

dontlaugh Sun 14-Oct-12 11:19:11

Ring hospital or NHS Direct. Mine did this last week and has just come home from hospital, he had a chest infection and when the pulse oximeter was on him he kept setting off alarms as his oxygen was too low.

piglettsmummy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:38:44

This needs looking at not only for your little one but anyone else who has experienced this! My daughter has a very serious condition and can normally only be spotted. Via her colour but we have learnt to recognise it. She stops breathig when asleep and goes extremely pale/grey/ and rarely blue. She has to have regular sleep studies. That is as fr as now I'll go as her condition does sound more scary than it it's when experiencing it. Is your Lo tired in he day? Grumpy? Poor behaviour? This needs checking over and try and push for a sleep study from your doctor. T may all come to nothing and it is just something that your LO does however would you take the risk? Please pm me if you need any advice etc I'm always here I help but please get this checked out don't put it off x

Toughasoldboots Sun 14-Oct-12 20:41:38

I agree with getting medical advice, if she has a cold, you need to also watch out for bronchiolitis in such a young baby. Is she working hard to breathe? Is she using her whole chest?

Go to A&E if worried, they won't mind just checking her SATS for you ( oxygen levels).

Nuttyprofessor Sun 14-Oct-12 20:51:47

This happened to my DGD when she had a cold, it turned out to be bronchilitis, she was seriously ill and on oxygen for a week. Please get her checked.

nannyof3 Mon 15-Oct-12 16:12:57

Any news ?

Some0ne Mon 15-Oct-12 16:21:09

She's very tiny, and since it's a new thing and she's unwell anyway I'd definitely get medical advice. Poor little sausage, it's so sad when they have a cold!

dontlaugh Wed 17-Oct-12 20:02:00

I'm just coming back to this thread to let OP know my baby has now been referred for an EKG to check for any heart problems, as his breathing is still not ok, even though he's home now. Any update OP?

RonettePulaski Wed 17-Oct-12 20:05:15

My Ds always went very very pale when asleep when he was little. I thought it was normal

merlottits Wed 17-Oct-12 20:12:34

2/3 of my babies did this. As soon as they fell asleep their colour faded and they went transparent. It was handy in that is was always a sign they were deeply asleep. They are both very fair redheads, my DS who has a different father and has olive skin, never did this.

All very healthy, robust children.

My anecdotal evidence proves nothing really so better to get it checked out if you are worried.

chipmonkey Wed 17-Oct-12 20:33:40

No, not normal. I don't like scaremongering but my daughter was like this when she suffered bouts of apnoea when in NICU. She had been fine for a while before she was released from hospital but died of SIDS four days later.
Get it checked and don't be fobbed off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now