Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

weaning with avoiding toddlers diarrhea in mind

(3 Posts)
DT35 Fri 12-Oct-12 10:07:44

Hi

My eldest son is 3 now and had awful toddlers diarrhea from when he was 1 to about 2 and a half and it really was a nightmare – exploding nappies all through the day and night. I followed a low fibre, high fat diet I found online (from NHS Norfolk randomly www.nnuh.nhs.uk/viewdoc.asp?ID=1040&t=Leaflet) that made it a bit better and he has done ever so well and is now potty trained – something which I thought would be impossible. My youngest son is nearly 9 months and I am really worried he will also develop toddler’s diarrhea. At the moment his poos are normal. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help reduce the risk of it developing. The diet I followed for my eldest (and still do most of the time) says to avoid all high fibre cereals such as weetabix, porridge, and even cheerios. The only thing it suggests for breakfast is white toast or rice crispies. I am a bit reluctant to give my 9 month old rice crispies as at the moment as he is so young and the baby porridge has all those extra nutrients etc. I just wondered if anyone out there had been in the same situation and had weaned their baby with avoiding toddlers diarrhea in mind. All the baby foods in jars and pouches which I use about half of the time are all fairly high fibre and low fat so I am a bit worried about that. I am trying to make a lot of my own food with more fat in, but I am aware I really don’t know what I am doing and want to make sure my youngest is getting the right diet for his age. On top of that my husband has high cholesterol so has to avoid a high fat diet! So cooking is tricky. With my eldest we went through the local hospital and had all the tests for intolerances and allergies and as he was diagnosed with toddlers diarrhea they didn’t take us seriously and the only advice I was given was ot give him more fat ie burgers! I really want to avoid an unhealthy diet for them so am trying to include more healthy fats. Any advice would be really welcome…thanks

RubberNeckerNicker Fri 12-Oct-12 10:20:35

Firstly try not to worry about something that may not happen. I've had one with toddler diarrhea and one without, both with the same weaning diet. Like you I tried various adjustments to my sons diet, but basically we tolerated it until he potty trained. Things that seemed to help were more fats and less fruit - particularly no dried fruit or citrus. We increased the fat via full fat dairy, butter and cream added to his meals, plus things like avocado.

Sadly there does not seem to be definitive proof why it happens, but it is fairly common. As you have found the usual approach is to tolerate it, I think because there is not enough research as to the causes. I understand though having been through it once you are keen to avoid again. Hope you find some more helpful answers!

DT35 Fri 12-Oct-12 12:49:51

Thank you, that is helpful to know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now