Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sending a child to school with a high temperature

(21 Posts)
cedmonds Wed 10-Oct-12 18:40:58

DS has got an er infection. He is on antibiotics. He has got a high temperature which comes down with calpol and he is reasonaby ok playng queitly. But asoon asthecalpol wears of his temperature comes back up and he is flopping on the sofa. Would you sent him to school?

MaureenMLove Wed 10-Oct-12 18:42:58

No. Speaking as a first aider at school, I wouldn't be very happy if I had to take time out of another job, to look after him and make a call to you, since you know he's not 100%

Keep him off for another day, I'm sure your school would appreciate it. smile

seeker Wed 10-Oct-12 18:43:04

I'd see how he is in the morning. But if he is the same has he is now, then no.

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 10-Oct-12 18:43:30

no I wouldnt. He wouldnt learn much if he isnt feeling great

LegArmpits Wed 10-Oct-12 18:44:06

Personally, no I wouldn't. Not until he's had at least half the antibiotics. You'd more than likely only be getting a call from school anyway if he's crashing like that. Hope he feels better soon though.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 10-Oct-12 18:44:25

No, definitely not. If he's feeling unwell enough to be flopping on the sofa, he's unwell enough to stay home

My mum sent me to school with the flu, it was horrible. Had to wait over an hour for her to collect me, was then off school for 2 weeks!

Mintyy Wed 10-Oct-12 18:44:32

No.

stargirl1701 Wed 10-Oct-12 18:46:08

No way!

SauvignonBlanche Wed 10-Oct-12 18:47:05

No!

LeeCoakley Wed 10-Oct-12 18:52:47

Is this a serious question?

cedmonds Wed 10-Oct-12 18:53:52

Thanks that what i thought but gp disagreed with mehmm he said send him in anyway and if he is ill then they will phone.

DilysPrice Wed 10-Oct-12 18:55:27

Absolutely not, unless he bounces out of bed tomorrow am with a perfect temperature.

twilight81 Wed 10-Oct-12 22:46:07

Absolutely no way..

littleducks Wed 10-Oct-12 22:55:50

Was he all perky at gps then? mine suddenly brighten up as soon as they enter the surgery!

I don't tend to medicate temperatures, it's the bodies way of fighting infection after all. Things seem to clear up faster then. If I ever do give calpol it seems to drag on.

cedmonds Thu 11-Oct-12 08:10:05

No he wasnt perky at the gps. He has had a lot of time of school due to being in and out of hospital with asthma. So has to see gp every day he is off school. its a nightmare. He was sick last night so is off school anyway but seems pretty bright and is playing. Think he was only sick because of all the snot.

surroundedbyblondes Thu 11-Oct-12 08:14:26

DDs' school requires one day of normal temp (normal because it's normal, not because of medication) before they can come back.

I'm sure not everyone respects it, but most do which is good for everyone in the long run.

AuntieStella Thu 11-Oct-12 08:18:12

I wouldn't. High temperature shows the body is still actively dealing with infection. I'd keep at home until temperature was normal without drugs and had been so for several hours.

AuntieStella Thu 11-Oct-12 08:18:54

And I hope he's better soon.

MoreBeta Thu 11-Oct-12 08:23:06

No.

DS1 is off school today and I apply the rule we had at boarding school. You stay out of school if you have temperature, vomiting, diarrhea, serious infectious disease or physical injury.

It really isnt fair to child, fellow pupils or teacher to send a sick child to school.

dikkertjedap Thu 11-Oct-12 12:01:48

If you don't already do so, it may help to use a saline spray (or drops) to clear his nose as much as possible (I like the Sterimar sprays as they are easy to use/dose).

You could also give Sudafed (children's decongestant) for a few days if he is very congested, this also reduces the chance of ear/throat infections and as he has already has an ear infection it may help to recover slightly quicker.

Hope he gets better soon. Earache is horrible.

cedmonds Thu 11-Oct-12 12:34:42

Thankyou
He has Sudafed but i have never found the saline drops any good will try the sterimar sprays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now