Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What can I do to help my dd get well?

(9 Posts)
ihatethecold Wed 10-Oct-12 11:24:38

My DD9 has whooping cough.
She is on her 4th week and a 3rd lot of antibiotics. She was treated for tonsillitis a month ago.
She is so fed up. I really feel for her.
She is managing 4 days at school in a week and then she is exhausted.
She is off today just coughing constantly.

I give her a multi vitamin plus recently started 1000 vitd3 spray. I squirt every day.

Any ideas what else I can do. Her energy levels are on the floor and we still have about 2 more months of coughing!
Thanks

ihatethecold Wed 10-Oct-12 11:25:45

That's 1 squirt everyday NOT I squirt everyday blushblush

ScaryBOOAlot Wed 10-Oct-12 11:34:55

<snort> at I squirt every day; that's needs to go on the typos thread!!! grin

Ahem.

Your poor DD. Are you taking preventative ABs as well? Cut dairy out of her diet for now as it increase mucas production.

ihatethecold Wed 10-Oct-12 11:37:31

We have stopped anti biotics now, it's just now a waiting game .
I just want her to feel ok again
If I stopped dairy she wouldn't be eating much else. She has lost her sense of taste and smell so isn't that hungry.

butterfingerz Wed 10-Oct-12 16:10:09

Cows milk does increase mucus production. Could you switch to goats milk? I doubt she'd notice the difference in taste but its far easier to digest. St Helens do a great range of goats milk, cheese, cheddar, yoghurt.

Try high dose vitamin c? Like those big effervescent tablets? You can take megadoses of vitamin c as its non-toxic. You just get a runny bottom if you reach your upper limit.

Unfortunately whooping cough is known as the '100 day cough' so she'll probably just have to ride it out. I'm sure my DD had it last winter, went on for bloody ages.

Keep up with vitamins, she'd be worse without them.

dikkertjedap Wed 10-Oct-12 17:15:34

I would not cut out milk, the problem with whooping cough is not really mucus, it is not productive.

She has to go through it, it is not for nothing that it is called the 100 day cough. I had it, it is exhausting.

I would recommend rest, maybe less school if she gets very tired. Stay on the case to prevent any secondary infections now the anti-biotics have stopped. You can get pneumonia without fever for example, so keep a close eye.

Hope she gets better soon.

ihatethecold Wed 10-Oct-12 20:48:29

I've ordered some sambucol for kids.. I think it helps with immunity.
We are going on a much needed holiday in 2.5 weeks.
We are all in the same room.
I just hope the night coughing has got better by then

blondefriend Wed 10-Oct-12 21:30:52

I can't really help but I had whooping cough when I was 9 and was off school for nearly 4 months. The whooping cough went away at about 3 months and I went back to school for 3 days, however my immune system was shot and I caught bronchitis and was off for another 2 weeks. I generally have/had a great immune system but unfortunately this knocked me for six. I really hope she feels better soon but I would keep her off school as she could be spreading it to others as well as prolonging it for herself.

ihatethecold Wed 10-Oct-12 22:41:25

She isn't contagious. I spoke to the doc about that. Most people are contagious for the first 3 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now