Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Think ds has a UTI - do I need to do anything, or will it go by itself?

(5 Posts)
SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 09:08:23

He's wet the bed two nightsrunning and also had an accident at school yesterday. He's 5 and a half.

I've kept him at home today as he says when asked that it does hurt - but I'm reluctant to take him to the GP and get antibiotics as I#m presuming it'll self limit like mine tend to do.

Am I wrong? Should I treat him somehow or will it just go away in a day or two?

weegiemum Wed 10-Oct-12 09:13:01

It's different in children and males. They need to see a doctor. Can you get a sample to take along? There's a (small) risk that the infection can spread to the kidneys, so it's worth getting antibiotics for this.

Is he otherwise unwell? Temperature? Vomiting? When he says it hurts, where?

Hope he feels better soon. Take care.

roguepixie Wed 10-Oct-12 09:13:49

I think you are right regarding self-limiting but am not a medical person so maybe wrong there. As far as I know drinking lots of water to 'flush' through his system will help. Drinking cranberry juice (can be diluted) helps with cystitis so may help him too.

Tbh, if it continues, I would get him to the dr even if it means anti-bio's for 5 days.

Fwiw, my DS (12) has just had the same thing and drinking lots of water helped him. Did get it checked at dr's with urine test but any infection had gone.

Hope he gets better soon.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Wed 10-Oct-12 09:19:52

Thankyou both, that's really helpful - I didn't know it was different with boys.

Weegie, he's fine in himself - I'd not have known anything was up, apart from the wetting. It's been a while since he was wetting the bed on a regular basis and he's never done it at school - yesterday he said he tried to ask to go to the toilet but the teacher never answers him, so I thought it was that.

It still could be but I asked if it hurts when he wees and he said, yes, his willy hurts.

Hmm. Might take him along later today if it's still the same. He isn't going more than usual - no temp or tiredness or anything really.

Bunbaker Sat 13-Oct-12 11:05:21

Please don't ever ignore a UTI in children. They tend not to be self limiting and can cause permanent kidney damage. The medical profession take UTIs very seriously and will always send off a urine sample for testing.

DD had several UTIs as a baby and ended up on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics for three years to prevent further infections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now