Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

children's eye tests - are they free?

(11 Posts)
ramonaquimby Tue 09-Oct-12 12:34:43

Hi, hoping someone can help.

I'd like to book my children in for eye tests - are they free at most places, and are there better places than others to book in for this?

We have a number of opticians locally (Boots, Specsavers, etc)

many thanks

cocolepew Tue 09-Oct-12 12:37:49

Yes and free glasses.

Yep and free glasses up to a certain value, or that value discount on more expensive glasses.

(a lot of places replace free if damaged too, dd had hers replaced free -- many many-- a few times for scratched lenses or broken frames.

cocolepew Tue 09-Oct-12 12:40:24

Sorry, free Nhs glasses. I took my D d to Specsavers, I can't remember if I paid for her glasseshmm I'm sure I didn't.

cocolepew Tue 09-Oct-12 12:42:22

I think at Specsavers its free from the £64 range for children, teens are free from the 80 something pound range.

willyoulistentome Tue 09-Oct-12 12:44:29

My optician recently wrote to me flogging some special eye test for children that was going to cost £18. I am not sure whether I am being neglectful as I have not booked it, or whether they are trying it on.

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 09-Oct-12 12:46:19

Opticians are great with children, eye tests are free and as others have said glasses are free or heavily subsidised.

Just choose an optician that's easy to get to, of your DCs do need glasses they do tend to give them a hard life at first.

My lovely lot even managed to get me another free pair to replace ones lost in Disney.

ginmakesitallok Tue 09-Oct-12 12:48:10

And if you are in Scotland adult eye tests are free too.

Madsometimes Tue 09-Oct-12 20:44:13

Yes, they are free. I would suggest booking into your local independent optician rather than Specsavers. Specsavers only allow 20 minutes per appointment slot, but locals tend to allocate 30 minutes, so you will be less rushed. Glasses are normally free, but you can upgrade to a nicer frame, and still get them fitted with free lenses.

cheekyginger Tue 09-Oct-12 21:09:32

Eye tests are free for everyone in Scotland. Well done the Scottish government!

Almost all children in Scotland have a pre-school eye test (In the year prior to starting school even if they are deferring).

Do any of your friends kids have glasses? If yes would they recommend their optician?

Small independent opticians do tend to have longer appointment slots so they do have the ability to spend more time with your kids.

ramonaquimby Mon 15-Oct-12 19:23:04

thanks everyone, have booked into independent place during half term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now