Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Orthodontic retainers

(6 Posts)
clam Sun 07-Oct-12 20:43:30

Am furious. DD left her retainers out on her bedside table (instead of in the special box in the bathroom!) and the dog has got hold of one and chewed it beyond recognition. angry

Her braces were done on the NHS. Does anyone have any idea how much it's going to cost to get a replacement?

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 08-Oct-12 08:24:47

Surely they wont charge? I lost my nhs crown and it was replaced free!

clam Mon 08-Oct-12 18:44:40

Well, we're back from the orthodontist and she's had the mould re-done and we pick up the new retainer tomorrow.

£62.70!!!

releasethehounds Thu 01-Nov-12 14:41:32

clam - sorry to hear about your DD's retainers -it's a nightmare isn't it? My DD1 (14) had her braces removed last week and has been given a set (top and bottom) of clear retainers on the NHS. She has to wear them all the time for 2 weeks and then only at night (for the rest of her life!).

I'm neurotic about her either damaging or losing them as we were warned any replacement would cost about the figure you've mentioned!

She is ok with the retainers except last night one of them dropped out whilst she was asleep and she found it in her bed this morning! I'm concerned now that the fit isn't right and don't know whether I should contact the orth about it. Do you think it's normal for a retainer to fall out at night? She has only being wearing it for 2 days so far so I don't know whether it's too early to worry and just see how it goes for a few more days.

Any advice please?

Notquite Thu 01-Nov-12 14:46:27

release Why not ring the orthodontist and see what they think? My DD has had her retainers for a few months and this hasn't happened as far as I know. It doesn't sound right, but I'm very far from being an expert.

releasethehounds Thu 01-Nov-12 14:53:36

Thanks notquite - I think I'll leave it a couple of days and keep asking DD how the retainer is, but if it falls out again, I will ring the orthodontist. I'm worried because the orth told us that any problems with the retainer can only be rectified within 2 weeks - after that, they can't do anything. He also mentioned that retainers can be a little loose at first and then they tighten up. The other reason I'm not keen to go rushing back is that it's a long journey to the orthodontist for us, but of course, I would do it if I needed to. DD's teeth are beautiful now and I just want them to stay as they are!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now