Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Getting baby to take cal pol

(42 Posts)
ThreePly Fri 05-Oct-12 20:10:15

How do I get my baby to take cal pol? He's teething and miserable but even if I use the neurofen syringe, he spits all medicine out. All flavours, all varieties.

herethereeverywhere Fri 05-Oct-12 20:12:38

How are you giving it to him? On a spoon or with a syringe/ dropper thing? Best to use a syringe and aim it into the cheek towards to the rear. He will swallow it then - works on my DS everytime. Plus by putting it in the cheek he won't choke on it.

herethereeverywhere Fri 05-Oct-12 20:13:49

Sorry just read your OP properly and see you are already using the dropper blush have my own teething baby on my lap so not concentrating! Bumping for you smile

DrSeuss Fri 05-Oct-12 20:15:26

Tip him back, squirt it in, clamp his mouth while rubbing his throat to make him swallow it. Same procedure as a cat. Brutal but effective. Or try Neurofen, which is orange and he may prefer it. Or put it in milk.

Natzer Fri 05-Oct-12 20:16:57

Will he take a dummy? if so you can get medicine dummies from boots, we swear by them ( I have 4!).

thepuddingchef Fri 05-Oct-12 20:16:58

I'm sure there are people on here who will disagree with me, but I have nothing but praise for the ezimed dummy. You put the measured amount in, they suck gently, don't waste any so you know the exact dose and can administer while their asleep.

Natzer Fri 05-Oct-12 20:17:55

Sorry, should have said, the dummies have a syringe so once they are sucking on the dummy you push the plunger in and it goes straight in.

Beamae Fri 05-Oct-12 20:18:51

I have this with one of my girls. I had to take her in to A&E on the weekend because her temperature was high from an ear infection and I couldn't get any Calpol in her. The doctor there told me I was being soft. Load a syringe, aim for the cheek, blow in her face to surprise her, then estimate how much she spits out and give a bit more. I was surprised because of overdosing her on paracetamol, but he said it wouldn't happen. Of course, doing it in front of him in the hospital worked like a dream but back home I just ended up with Calpol in my eyes and a terrified child. It's a tricky one. Watching with interest.

ThreePly Fri 05-Oct-12 20:25:22

Ooh yes, he loves his dummy! Will have to seek out the medicine dummy.

Bea, that's an annoying doctor comment! It's so traumatic trying to force it in isn't it?

NellyBluth Fri 05-Oct-12 20:28:49

The dummy is great. It would probably be even greater if your baby takes a dummy, which mine doesn't. But its still more effective than the syringe or spoon, IMO.

I'm going to try the blowing in the face trick next time. But I have to admit that when DD was properly ill the other week and really needed something to bring down her temperature DP and I ended up half pining her down and squeezing her cheeks to get her to swallow medicine.

readyforno2 Fri 05-Oct-12 20:30:56

I used to lie ds down and squirt it in whilst gently pinching his cheeks together. Sounds brutal but worked well and is over in seconds

cantmakecarrotcake Fri 05-Oct-12 20:32:41

How old is your baby? We used to struggle with DD until she got to shake the bottle herself - odd perhaps but she enjoyed being involved. Baby would need to be older I think.

Otherwise get some decent teething gel (DD likes Dentinox better than Bonjela)

Hope the dummy works, I think that sounds like a good option.

marketingfreelancer Fri 05-Oct-12 20:34:35

Mix the calpol with milk...

MrsSpencerReid Fri 05-Oct-12 20:38:44

I insert dummy then pull out a little and squirt calpol down the side, insert dummy fully and in sucking the dummy they take the calpol, does that make sense? Good luck!!

TheonlyWayisGerard Fri 05-Oct-12 20:40:29

How old is he? I used to mix it in with diluted apple juice. DD was a nightmare to get medicine into.

fluffacloud Fri 05-Oct-12 20:42:00

My DD (23wks) created hell when we used a syringe - we use a spoon now, she doesn't exactly love it but she prefers it, I think the 'shock' of the syringe used to scare her.

Although, if she used a dummy I'd give that a go wink

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Oct-12 20:45:15

Does he have bottles? We just used to put it in his milk.

Neurofen tends to work better for teething btw, reduces the swelling in the gums a bit better

Bonkerz Fri 05-Oct-12 20:47:35

DS is 17 months and I put meds in a cup with a small amount of juice and let him have a straw! He drinks it down no probs even the vitamin one that smells and probably tastes horrendous!

ThreePly Fri 05-Oct-12 20:53:31

Baby is breastfed, won't take a bottle, dribbles water from his cup down his chin... Do you see a pattern? He's 1.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 05-Oct-12 20:56:00

Can you squirt down side of breast?! By squirt I mean about half a mil of something!!

NellyBluth Fri 05-Oct-12 20:58:49

Have you tried the powders? They work a treat for us, and DD happily opens her mouth the moment she sees the packet.

ThreePly Fri 05-Oct-12 21:02:30

Nelly wot powders?

Mrs really? <imagines sticky boob and baby screaming bloody murder>

NellyBluth Fri 05-Oct-12 21:09:23

Nelsons teething powders, you can get them in Superdrug (Boots always seems to be sold out) and some supermarkets. They are just calmomile, but something about them calms DD down within minutes.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 05-Oct-12 21:37:34

Well it works with a dummy so same principle, although DS has a nipple allergy(!) so I have never tried grin

Beamae Fri 05-Oct-12 21:45:10

The medicine dummy worked exactly once for me! Then she was on to me and it was mouth tightly closed/spitting/thrashing around as soon as it touched her lips. Now I think it's only a temperature I'll medicate her for because it is so traumatic for both of us, getting medicine in her. After this last week she won't even let my hands near her face after all the medicine I've forced into her. Teething pain will have to be dealt with using things like ice cold carrot sticks and teething rings kept in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now