Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Flat Head

(8 Posts)
Natty4 Fri 05-Oct-12 17:33:30

Just wondered if there is anybody out there with older children who still have flat heads? My daughter is 3 and although her head did round out a little bit she still has very visible signs of flat head syndrome which is starting to look worse now her hair has grown. Can anybody tell me if their child's head is still looking flat at school age and beyond? I've been feeling extremely angry and upset at the false information I was given when she was 4 months that it would "grow out" and incredibly guilty for not doing more to help her.

marthamydear Sat 06-Oct-12 02:08:55

bump

cravingcake Sun 07-Oct-12 09:02:23

I dont have a child school age but my DS (11 months) did have flat head due to some neck vertabrae being out of line (we had a very traumatic birth with forceps & shoulder dystocia). I took him to a chiropractor when he was 11 weeks old and he has worked on these and they are now lined up. He also 'manipulates' his skull and soft palate to help the flat part grow out.

Its not too late for you to take your DD to a chiropractor to help this. My chiropractor has said that he will want to see my DS about every 3 years. This is so he can make sure everything is as it should be during the key growing stages (which are about every 3 years he told me). I would definitely recommend it.

Also, do not feel guilty. You are concerned about it now and its not too late.

Gunznroses Sun 07-Oct-12 09:13:22

Yes smile ds (8) has flat head. He was born with it, none of the hcp's we saw said anything about it and i didnt know it could be corrected. When his hair is long it covers it up, but whenever he has a hair cut ds is acutely aware of it, infact first time he saw it in the mirror he asked "mummy is that my head ? Is that how it looks ?" sad we've decided to no longer give him short hair cuts and he's much happier.

SilveryMoon Sun 07-Oct-12 09:19:31

My ds1 (5yo) has a flat head.
When he was a tiny baby, it started going flat on one side, the HV suggested I use rolled up blankets to change the position of his head when he was sleeping, which I did and the whole back of his head went flat.
The bones moving out at the side made his head look very big and he was referred to the hospital.
I was told there that it would grow out by the time he hit 5, which it has not and his head still looks quite big.
He hasn't noticed yet, but like gunz I now prefer to keep his hair a bit longer. dp does not. Many disagreements over this one!

podgymumma Thu 11-Oct-12 21:13:46

Hi, my son had a very flat head and was corrected with the use of a helmet. He was late starting the treatment so it didn't improve as much as me and the doctor would have liked. I have noticed recently (he's nearly 7) that it is a bit better.

HanSolo Sat 13-Oct-12 01:21:04

I have 2 children, both had plagio- 1 had helmet therapy, 1 corrected by re-positioning.
I am very glad we did it tbh. I agree- GPs, even hospital told us they'd grow out of it, and they patently were not until we took action.

Clumsasaurus Thu 18-Oct-12 10:03:39

My DS is 9 weeks old and favours rolling his head to one side. He has had 3 cranial osteopathy sessions to try and help him and he certainly has more head movement but is still favouring one side. During the day I try to roll a muslin to stop him rolling onto it but he still fights to and gets frustrated and when he can't.

Hs anyone tried any other treatment, professional or at home as I am keen to nix this ASAP as his head is definitely flattened as is his ear. Grrrrr

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now