Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can anyone help me identify this rash on 8mo?

(4 Posts)
Curtsey Thu 04-Oct-12 14:39:30

Hi all,

8mo DD has developed a rash in the last week. It began on her arms, then spread to her legs, and eventually her face. She seems perfectly well otherwise: no temperature, eating well, sleeping fine, lots of energy by day. She's not trying to scratch the rash at all.

The rash hasn't spread further, but neither does it seem to be clearing up particularly quickly. I took her to a pharmacist who took a look and said that she has probably been in contact with something, but that it's completely harmless. She gave us E45 bath oil and cream and said that this might help calm it down.

So it seems to be a reaction, but DP and I can't work out what the cause is. DD has had lovely skin up until now (no nappy rash even) and hasn't been prone to any kind of allergies. She hasn't eaten anything different, and we haven't changed our washing powder. It occurred to me that the rash could possibly be caused by a wool blanket I am placing over her grobag at night (it has been very cold here recently.) However, the blanket isn't in direct contact with her skin. So I don't know.

Any advice or thoughts?
Thanks you!

cheekybarsteward Thu 04-Oct-12 17:39:30

Try not using the wool blanket for a week and see if it makes a difference?
If you are allergic to something you don't have to be in contact physically with it.

Curtsey Thu 04-Oct-12 18:07:53

I'll definitely leave off the blanket for a while. It only occurred to me today...thanks that's interesting about the physical contact.

eragon Sat 06-Oct-12 23:02:53

how often are you bathing baby? once a day is too much and can dry a babies skin out.

take to gp for doc to give prescribed emolients etc, also to confirm is ezcema and not a mild viral infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now