Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is there a trick to get 18month old DS to take his medicine?

(5 Posts)
getoffthecoffeetable Wed 03-Oct-12 19:45:13

DS has a bad ear infection. He's now cottoned on to the yellow stuff (amoxycillin) being his medicine and he just spits it out. Have tried syringe and spoon. This evening, I think we've wasted at least 4 doses of his 7 day supply with him just spitting it out.
Are there any tricks please? It's the banana flavoured medicine so have already tried having flavoured version - which incidentally has also made illuminous stains on his face and clothes! Thanks

Gigondas Wed 03-Oct-12 19:47:12

Lie him down in bathroom (as yellow stuff stains like anything), hold mouth open and squeeze dose in via syringe and feed chocolate buttons after as a bribe. It is pretty much same technique I used in pets but seemed to be only effective way.

getoffthecoffeetable Wed 03-Oct-12 20:14:10

Thanks Gigondas, will give that a go. Wish I'd known about the staining before he spat it all over me spilt it on my top!
I can convince the dog to take medicine, just wrap it in ham, won't work with wee one though, he doesn't eat ham. Darn it!

Gigondas Wed 03-Oct-12 20:15:02

I know- goodness knows why they have to make it so lurid

getoffthecoffeetable Wed 03-Oct-12 20:23:23

I can see that my next post will be in Housekeeping about how to get the awful yellow stains out of the clothes lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now