Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Excessively tired 10 year old with virus, no energy - should I be concerned

(16 Posts)
hmc Tue 02-Oct-12 13:17:28

I am a little depressed at the moment so am well aware that I keep seeing worst case scenario in everything, so perhaps you can talk some sense into me or conversely advise me that I am right to be concerned.

DD has had sore throat, headache and cold symptoms since Sunday night. I realise that you can feel rubbish with a common cold (I usually do) but I am concerned about just how totally bone weary she is. For over 48 hours she has done little other than sleep or doze on the sofa (which is not like her). Her appetite is okay though....

I know that you can develop pneumonia secondary to an infection. Dh had pneumonia a few years back - the first sign was excessive tiredness (again uncharacteristic). I have a doctors appointment for her tomorrow afternoon but does she need it brought forward as an urgent?

.....Or am I over worrying and disaster scenario-ing (again)

Startailoforangeandgold Tue 02-Oct-12 13:25:21

Sleep is good for fighting off viruses, as DCs get older they get better at realising this.
I'm sure she'll be fine.

Lots of nasties about, DD2 had two days in a row of last week and that's unheard of.

hmc Tue 02-Oct-12 13:28:02

Ok thanks startail - I probably am worrying unnecessarily. I hadn't thought about that aspect; older children better recognising the need for rest

BeaWheesht Tue 02-Oct-12 14:26:58

Does she have a fever? When ds had pneumonia his temp was 40 with calpil and nurofen he didnt eat a thing and was delirious. He had just turned 4 do didnt understand he should rest iykwim but did flake out suddenly quite a lot.

hmc Tue 02-Oct-12 15:01:28

She has had a fever on and off Bea but not as high as 40, and her fever seems to have settled since this morning. Pneumonia in a wee 4 year old must have been scary - glad he is okay now

corblimeymadam Tue 02-Oct-12 20:05:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BerthaTheBogBurglar Tue 02-Oct-12 20:07:56

Her body is probably just recovering, some viruses get them like that.

Is she drinking normal amounts?

DeWe Tue 02-Oct-12 20:49:37

Dd1 (8 at the time) didn't have a temperature with pneumonia. She just had shoulder pain. And managed to get through 2 dance shows and a swimming party and was half way walking to school (30 minute walk) when she finally admitted to me that she didn't feel too good.hmm Doctor said with her oxygen statistics he was surprised she could even stand up.

If you put your ear to her chest you may be able to hear a wheeze, or worse (I'm told) a squeak.

However ds (age 5) has had tonsilitis about a month ago. From a very lively little boy we had one day where he couldn't stand up without collapsing. He was very sleepy for the next 2 days, and then recovered quickly after that. Hopefully your dd will be the same.

hmc Tue 02-Oct-12 21:32:09

Thanks ladies - she's well asleep now but I might try listening to her chest tomorrow morning. She is wiped - poor kid. As I mentioned, I have a docs appointment for late tomorrow afternoon and she should be okay to wait until then. If there is any deterioration I will take her as an urgent to the morning surgery (we have a very helpful doctors surgery), but touch wood she will hopefully start to improve soon rather then go the other way

marriednotdead Tue 02-Oct-12 21:48:42

Another one who is thinking glandular fever if it doesn't lift soon. It wouldn't hurt to ask the GP for blood tests to rule it out. Hope it's not though.

My DD had it when she was almost 16 and she could barely move. I thought she was being a typical lazy teen but after I left her caring for DS (6 then) while I went to a funeral and she didn't have the energy to feed him, I took her to the GP. Turned out to be Epstein-Barr and she drooped around for months.

hmc Tue 02-Oct-12 22:17:18

Well certainly a child in her class has had glandular fever.....

schilke Wed 03-Oct-12 15:15:20

Here too. Ds1 is 14 and hardly ever ill. Not a single day off in yr 9. Since Saturday he has been unwell. Feeling congested,slight temp, sore throat and ear ache. Now left with sore throat and is exhausted. Been in bed for 3 days - sleeping and ipoding. Decreased appetite. Not like him at all.

He is starting to panic about school work - has missed a controlled assessment this week. I too had been wondering about GF.

hmc Thu 04-Oct-12 17:21:20

Hope your ds is in the mend schilke. My dd is much improved today so probably was just a very debilitating virus

hmc Thu 04-Oct-12 17:21:44

'on' the mend

schilke Thu 04-Oct-12 19:22:22

Good news here too hmc. Ds1 went back to school. Probably could have done with the week off to fully recover, but was freaking out about English assessment! Still very tired and sore throaty. Have pulled him out of football match on Saturday and he hasn't complained shock

ihatethecold Fri 05-Oct-12 14:57:19

My dd has had 2 lots of AB for tonsillitis in the last 4 weeks. She is now on a 3rd lot. They think she has whooping cough.
A virus really does take a while to get over.
Hope your appt at the docs gave you some answers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now