Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Sticking out ears on a 9 year old - has anyone tried the non-surgical correction methods?

(18 Posts)
purpleroses Mon 01-Oct-12 20:33:16

DD is 9 and becoming increasingly bothered about her sticking out ears. They really do stick out quite a lot, and she's a keen dancer which means having hair tied back and ears on display.

Been googling and there are sites offering to sell you kind of clip things that they say correct the ears without the need for surgery. Like this one - here Has anyone used them? Do they work?

quoteunquote Mon 01-Oct-12 21:27:14

my friend said that they tried to use something like those I think, as I know that they tried something before they went down the surgical route, to irritating to wear apparently

all three of their children had the surgery, they got over it very fast.

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 21:48:10

No advice on the non surgical things, although I struggle to see how it can work, but I had my ears pinned back when I was 10 and it was the best decision I ever made (with support from parents of course)

Yes it was uncomfortable for a few weeks but it was worth it!

NotALondoner Mon 01-Oct-12 22:19:19

It is performed as a day surgery, and you keep the bandages on for a week I think.

purpleroses Mon 01-Oct-12 22:21:01

I've not told her that a surgical option exists yet. I'm uncomfortable about the thought of her having a general anasthetic for something that's just cosmetic, and still hoping she'll just get used to her ears and learn to accept them. Guess maybe I need to let her know a bit more about the possibility though.

Sirzy Mon 01-Oct-12 22:29:25

It may be just cosmetic but it is something that I found had a massive impact on my confidence as a child. I was pleased I had it done before secondary school because I was worried what teasing I would get because of it.

purpleroses Mon 01-Oct-12 22:35:14

I don't think she's been teased about them. But people do comment on them. We're having battles over her hair because she won't keep it tied up so it gets all tangled - I think the reason she keeps taking out the ponytail is to cover the ears up sad

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 01-Oct-12 22:38:21

I was teased, a lot, and I wish my parents had let me have the surgery. It's not so obvious no I'm older, but my ears stuck out a lot when I was a teen. If its really that bad then let her have the surgery. A friend of mine had it when she was 13 and she was so much happier.

purpleroses Wed 03-Oct-12 23:08:29

Tears this evening from DD about the ears sad She's had her photo taken today to go on the wall for being on school council. But forgot to take her ponytail out and is convinced the photo will show her ears. Really don't want to look at surgery (yet). Maybe try a different hairstyle

skyebluesapphire Wed 03-Oct-12 23:12:33

My DD's ear was odd when she was a baby, always bright red and folded in half easily and sticking out. My Doctor referred me to hospital about it , but the consultant was very dismissive.

I was asking him about ear buddies, as some NHS prescribe them apparantly, but he was really sneery about it, saying if you look on google, you will say next that your baby has a flat head.....

he said that if DD was unhappy about her ear when she was older then she could have it pinned back....

She looks odd because it is only one ear too. i have never mentioned it to her as I dont want to give her a complex about it

BorisJohnsonsHair Wed 03-Oct-12 23:13:04

I know what you mean about it being cosmetic, but it really is more than that. My DD had appalling teeth which really got her down; after having a brace fitted she needed to have 5 teeth removed, which meant a general anaesthetic. I was worried sick, but she was fine within minutes of waking up and now has the most beautiful teeth, and so much more confidence. I really think it's worth considering the surgery.

JarethTheGoblinKing Wed 03-Oct-12 23:17:43

Please do consider the surgery. As Boris said, it's really not that different to braces and will make such a difference.

Hopeforever Wed 03-Oct-12 23:24:31

My parents didn't push to have my ears operated on until I was we'll into my teens. I really wish they'd asked earlier

There is a difference between plastic and cosmetic surgery.

Cosmetic is to enhance what others think of as fine, eg breast enlargement

Plastic surgery is to correct something that is having a detrimental effect on everyday life

Your DD is showing you the signs she is ready, please don't delay speaking to your GP, it will take long enough anyway

Emotional rant over sad

quietlysuggests Fri 05-Oct-12 17:37:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

purpleroses Fri 05-Oct-12 23:17:33

Really? Don't they cut away some of the cartalidge and make them wear bandages for weeks?
I did tell her that surgery exists the other day. But she didn't sound too keen. I'd definitely leave it to come from her

ningyo Sat 06-Oct-12 00:13:52

If it's bothering your DD - and it does sound like it is - then I think it's probably worth giving the non-surgical option a try for now, while you and she consider and research the surgical option over the next few months. I have ears that stick out and are quite large. I remember thinking about having the surgery when I was around 10 years old, after seeing another girl who'd had her ears pinned back. But my ears have never really bothered me too much - I think this is in part because several members of my family have similar ears and so they always seemed kind of 'normal' to me - and I was never teased about it at school, so I didn't really pursue the idea of surgery after discussing it with my parents. I never regretted the decision, but I think if I was teased or self-conscious about it I would have felt very differently.

Hopeforever Sat 06-Oct-12 07:02:54

My ear operation was 30 years ago, so I'm sure it's changed since then, but my cartilage was scored not removed. I wore a bandage for a week then just at night.

It was far less painful than having my wisdom teeth removed

quietlysuggests Sat 06-Oct-12 13:24:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now