Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Question re twin block functional appliance braces.

(4 Posts)
IslaValargeone Mon 01-Oct-12 17:58:05

If your child has/had these do they eat with them in?
Last orthodontist said not to, new orthodontist has said to eat with them in?
I can't see this being particularly easy.safe or hygienic though?
Also how often did you screw tighten them?

IslaValargeone Wed 03-Oct-12 20:05:43

Anyone?
Dc has broken it at dinner today. I am so pissed off.

3littlewomen Wed 03-Oct-12 22:30:15

Hi Isla, my 11 year old DD has had twin blocks since January - they are working brilliantly, though the initial period can be very testing. According to our ortho she had to wear them 24 hours a day most especially when eating and talking - this encourages the jaw growth. Not at all unhygienic as they can be popped out and rinsed under the tap.

It is amazing the difference they make to the face shape when they have worked - so do persevere and encourage.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 04-Oct-12 14:43:53

dd had to eat with hers in and then rinse them after. I think that if they can manage it, its supposed to give much faster results. dd was only in hers for a few months. Took a couple of days of her determinedly trying to eat for her to get the hang of it, but after that the only thing she couldnt manage was spaghetti.

she didnt have to do the screw turning thing at all. Wonder why your dcs broke?

It worked really well and now she is on the train track stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now