Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

d&v in 12 month old - what food to give?

(9 Posts)
BettyStogs Mon 01-Oct-12 07:32:03

DS has had a d&v bug over the weekend, he's fine in himself and hasn't lost his appetite, but I'm not sure what best to feed him to not make it worse. He seems to be over the vomiting part, but its all go at the other end.

He's bf so will keep going with that as much as possible.

cravingcake Mon 01-Oct-12 09:06:24

I have the exact same thing with my 11mo DS. I spoke to a GP on thursday (DS started on Weds evening) and was advised to withold milk/dairy for 24 hours and replace his milk with water and juice if he would take it (which he did happily). My DS is formula fed but if I was you I would definitely not stop the breastfeeds but maybe swap yoghurts for breadsticks and try toast instead of cereal with milk for breakfasts as an example.

The gp told me to offer low fat foods as this is easier to digest. Only problem I have now is he is still having the horrible nappies and isnt interested in rice cakes and there's only so many breadsticks one baby can eat. I'm offering him warm boiled water often but would welcome any more ideas and advice as well.

BettyStogs Mon 01-Oct-12 09:39:34

Breadsticks and rice cakes it is then! Thanks craving, hope your DS is better soon.

DoItRight Mon 01-Oct-12 09:43:07

When my DD had this the nurse from nhs direct said to feed white foods- anything like pasta, rice, ready break style porridge, etc. I guess because of the low fat factor in all those foods. Hope this helps.

butterfingerz Mon 01-Oct-12 12:07:02

Or perhaps some mashed potato with like white flaked fish or plain chicken, no milk or butter. Carry on with lots of breastfeeding, that will help a lot.

We all had norovirus a few weeks back, my DS refused anything other that breast milk and he recovered better than the rest of the family. Norovirus is highly contagious so lots of handwashing and boil wash sheets and towels. And you only get temporary immunity to it so you don't want any of virus lingering on clothes or on surfaces.

nextphase Mon 01-Oct-12 12:17:37

Sorry to hear about so many ill babies.
Agree with keep on with BM, but stop all other milk / dairy including formula.

Dry cereal? Dry bread / toast? plain pasta? Rusks if you've still got any lying around?

Hope everyone is better soon

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Oct-12 13:19:06

I'm a fan of bananas and toast. The bananas replace lost potassium.

BettyStogs Mon 01-Oct-12 13:20:59

Thanks all, he's munching on some plain toast at the moment, will do him some mashed potato or pasta for tea.

forevergreek Mon 01-Oct-12 13:22:26

Bananas, rice, toast all good

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now