Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mollauscum contagiousness

(12 Posts)
hellion Sun 30-Sep-12 12:47:17

My ds (9) has got this and he has unsightly spots on his neck which makes him very self conscious.

Has anyone managed to get rid if it. The doctor said let it run it course (can take over18 months to go naturally). We are trying tea tree oil and thuja but they are still not going. Any advice appreciated.

Nishky Sun 30-Sep-12 12:50:50

Dd had it but she was younger and therefore not as self - conscious - I think she was about 6 when it started and it did last about 18 months.

I did nothing- just treated the eczema she had at the same time. Sorry not to be of any help.

hellion Sun 30-Sep-12 13:10:42

Thanks for the message. At least it proves it does go by itself. What did you use the treat the eczema?

Nishky Sun 30-Sep-12 17:26:55

I am not 100% sure what the cream was as HV prescribed it- we had two lots - an oily one at night and a less oily one for during the day. In particularly bad break outs we had steroid cream too. Her backs of legs and armpits were so sore bless her- but nothing now at all.

PickledMoomin Sun 30-Sep-12 17:30:39

Your poor DS.

My DS has it too. He's nearly 3 and it doesn't bother him at the moment.

I took him to the controversial GP who advised that I bathe him and the squeeze the spots until they bleed. He said to wipe the puss away with a cotton bud.

I did this with one spot but then felt terrible and have since left them alone.

Nishky Sun 30-Sep-12 18:04:27

I have read many many people on the Internet advising people to squeeze the spots but I never never did- far too squeamish!!

I just left the spots and treated the eczema and waited for them to go.

suburbandream Sun 30-Sep-12 18:10:39

Both my DCs had it when they were younger, it did take a while to go but it went of its own accord eventually. Best not to mess with it I think

thegreylady Sun 30-Sep-12 19:51:04

My dgs has it. He is three and has had it for about a year-apparently it will go on its own-most of his are on his body so covered up.

detoxdiva Sun 30-Sep-12 19:57:38

Dd had it from age 6 months to about 18 months mainly on the backs of her knees, inside her elbows and on her torso. Avoid squeezing them, they will leave tiny dimpled scars.

I tried a few treatments but nothing helped. They didn't bother her and interestingly the cleared up after a summer holiday abroad. No idea if connected to the sunshine she was then exposed to or if they were just clearing up at that time anyway.

Woodlands Tue 02-Oct-12 11:10:06

My DS (2) has had it for about a year and I have tried a few things, but nothing made any difference. It looks as if the last few warts are now scabbing up and there are no new ones appearing. Phew! It does go eventually.

AylaFriendly Tue 02-Oct-12 21:06:20

We have squeezed our LO - and it has helped it go! He had it from 8 months and all gone now he is 12 months. The ezcema has gone as well!!

LolaLadybird Tue 02-Oct-12 22:30:00

DS (4) had this earlier this year. It was only on his buttocks but the spots irritated him and he scratched them making them look worse, they then started to spread the back of his knees. I went back to the GP to ask if there was anything they could prescribe for the itching and she recommended Eurax which you can buy over the counter and is non-steriod. Anyway, it cleared it up completely within a couple of weeks and it hasn't returned. I think the scratching was causing it to spread. Might be worth considering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now