Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

PFB's first cold - help!

(6 Posts)
IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 30-Sep-12 11:43:39

As title says. I think my 4 month old DD has a cold. She's grunty sounding, not sleeping well, grizzly and there's definite nose leakage and she's been sneezing a lot. So, what do I do? She's BF so making sure she's getting plenty of breast milk and lots of cuddles with mummy and daddy to make her feel secure, but should I be giving her baby calpol? Or something else?

Thank you

Flumpy2012 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:07:13

Hello

Calpol can be given from 3 months but I'd only give it if she's feeling too warm. Cuddles, breast milk and a chance for her immunity to fight it will be best. Also boots do plug ins with olbas strips that fit inside them which could help unblock her whilst she sleeps. Also a couple of books under one end of cot/crib to tilt her a little. also taking her in the bathroom whilst you have a hot shower ( not in the hot shower) as the steam will help

Hope she feels better soon xx

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 30-Sep-12 12:41:42

Books under head end of the cot was the most successful thing we did.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sun 30-Sep-12 12:59:07

Thank you. We've tilted one end of the cot so she's at a slight incline and we spoke to pharmacist who suggested some saline drops for her nose just before she feeds to help her breathing while feeding. Decided against calpol as only want to give her medication if really absolutely necessary.

Hopefully she will get over it quickly!

Florin Sun 30-Sep-12 13:17:08

Get the saline spray, it works much better than the drops and a snot suker the one where you suck one end. They are very effective particularly if my husband does it. The bulb ones you squeeze are useless.

olivo Sun 30-Sep-12 20:23:38

Was just about to add saline drops. I think we had some individual use vials made by tixilix or something similar. I still use them now they are older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now