Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Back to school after vomiting bug

(15 Posts)
juneau Sun 30-Sep-12 11:37:54

DS1 had a vomiting bug yesterday. Today he is fine and eating and drinking well (albeit bland foods). The rules from the school clearly state that a child should stay at home until s/he's been okay for a full 48 hours, so that means he really shouldn't go to school tomorrow. However, DH thinks I'm being silly and that we should send him as if he's well today he should be fine tomorrow. WWYD?

Sirzy Sun 30-Sep-12 11:39:08

If the rules say 48 hours then keep him home for 48 hours.

yousankmybattleship Sun 30-Sep-12 11:40:42

No, you shouldn't send him tomorrow. I think most schools have the 48hr rule.

corblimeymadam Sun 30-Sep-12 16:03:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shushpenfold Sun 30-Sep-12 16:05:05

48 hours is there fore a reason.......most notably demonstrated by my ds who was fine for 44 hours and then dramatically brought up the whole day's stuff in one go.....I could have sent him to school that day but didn't because of the rules. Your dh is being a twonk.

Dolallytats Sun 30-Sep-12 16:19:12

No, you definitely should not send him to school. That would be unfair on your DS (if his body has not cleared the bug yet) and anyone else that comes into contact with him. The rules are there for a reason.

Finbert Sun 30-Sep-12 16:22:52

Yep 48 hours as may still be contagious, it's to try and stop the spread to other children and staff. Would be unfair to send him in

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 30-Sep-12 16:23:48

48 hours is 48 hours. It is set at that time to ensure the bug is clear of his system before he returns to school.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 30-Sep-12 16:24:14

Don't send him tomorrow.

hellymelly Sun 30-Sep-12 16:25:04

keep him at home. It is a risk to the rest of the class, he may well still be contagious. ( hospital said five days when I had a bug and wanted to visit ill mother, so schools are not being madly over-cautious with 48 hours).

moosemama Sun 30-Sep-12 20:08:35

My ds was sent home with a vomiting bug last Monday. He went into school with no sign of being ill and was really poorly by mid morning. We later found out that he'd caught the bug off someone at a party the day before - so only a 24 hour incubation period.

We kept him off for 48 hours from the last time he was sick, plus an additional day and he seemed completely better. Then the evening before he was due to go back he was violently ill again.

The 48 hours is because children still spread the bug for up to 48 hours after cessation of symptoms, which is how these things spread like wildfire through schools.

It's important that everyone sticks to the 48 hour rule and particularly so for any children in his school who may be immune-compromised.

blondefriend Sun 30-Sep-12 21:45:12

A parent at my children's nursery brought her son into nursery after being sick the previous day. It caused my son to be in hospital for 2 weeks. To say I wasn't amused was an understatement.

Badvoc Sun 30-Sep-12 21:50:26

Your dh is being a twat.
Why should your son go in and potentially infect a whole class?
For the same of anther 24 hours?
For all you know there may be kids in the class with immunity/health issues.

dikkertjedap Sun 30-Sep-12 22:10:39

As others have said, your son might not show any more symptoms, but in all likelihood he is still contagious.

Your DH is either ignorant or selfish.

blondefriend Mon 01-Oct-12 21:16:17

Although I don't think you should send him in (see above comment) I don't think the comments about your DH are necessary. Sorry, I'm new here but that's a bit rude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now