Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mosquito bites (Southern Hemisphere)

(4 Posts)
PMDiddy Sun 30-Sep-12 09:57:01

We live in the Southern Hemisphere and are coming into Summer which means mosquito season!
DS 5yo, has such a bad reaction to mosquito bites, they swell up, become hard, are extremely itchy and sore and he gets very miserable. What kind of a doctor do I see for help? Can anyone advise? I give him antihistamines etc. but want help for the long term and as a preventative, ie treating the cause not the symptom. Anybody?

littletingoddess Sun 30-Sep-12 23:56:21

If his reactions are extreme, I would suggest an allergist. From what you have written, that sounds like a possible allergy to bites.

However, in my case (I grew up in Florida), years of exposure has rendered me seemingly immune to bites. I am bitten but have no reaction. Your DS may build an immunity but in the meantime, speak to an allergy specialist. HTH.

PMDiddy Tue 02-Oct-12 14:09:00


littletingoddess Tue 02-Oct-12 19:17:58

You're welcome! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: