Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ringworm

(24 Posts)
SunshadesOfGrey Fri 28-Sep-12 13:00:58

Ds has ringworm on his leg which I've been treating with canesten cream on advice from the pharmacy. It still hasn't gone away several weeks after starting treatment although it keeps shrinking/fading only to come back up again, and a new patch has flared up too.
Do you have any suggestions or do I need to take him to the gp?

tiredteddy Fri 28-Sep-12 13:09:07

GP. I had ringworm on my foot and treated with anti fungal cream from pharmacy and it would fade and flare up again. Only went with a stronger cream from GP. Regular application key too, twice daily.

SunshadesOfGrey Fri 28-Sep-12 18:20:34

Thanks* tired* it looks like we need to go to the then.

QOD Fri 28-Sep-12 18:23:16

I have it at the mo . . . .

Cream from chemist didn't work, now got it from Dr, slight improvement after a week

Was googling it last night and it can take weeks and weeks to clear up

vodkaanddietirnbru Fri 28-Sep-12 22:00:12

I ended up with a lamisil gel to clear mine up when canesten didnt work

SunshadesOfGrey Sat 29-Sep-12 07:59:36

QOD weeks and weeks!! shock I had heard two weeks only which is why I was worried.
vodka is the lamisil from the chemist or on prescription? How long did it take to clear it?

vodkaanddietirnbru Sat 29-Sep-12 08:08:01

I used lamisil 1% gel but googling tells me it isnt suitable for children under the age of 16 (I got it prescribed for myself). It still took a few weeks to go away.

notactuallyme Sat 29-Sep-12 08:22:13

Oh poor you. All 4 of mine had it last year: one had it really badly, and it did last months. Def go to the gp. Wash sheets, separate towels, check animals - vet can do this.

QOD Sat 29-Sep-12 08:25:26

Nhs say go back to GP if not significantly changed after 2 weeks. I've been treating with go cream for 1 week so far and no real change

They say you might need anti fungal tablets

<hacksaws own foot off>

OrangecatinGoldboots Sat 29-Sep-12 08:28:59

Sunshine! LOts of it! Is the only thing that works!

SunshadesOfGrey Sat 29-Sep-12 16:26:17

Thanks all, will make a gp appointment next week - although it's a strange thing to need to take time off school for.
Orange funny you should say that as after our summer holiday I thought it had gone, but it came back again as soon as we got home

MrawMraw Sat 29-Sep-12 23:10:29

My DS (3) is absolutely covered in ringworm, it's all over his trunk area and back and has been for months.

At first I "diagnosed" it myself as I'm a Healthcare Assistant and bought some Canesten Cream but it did nothing much, so took him to GP, who confirmed Ringworm and said it may need more aggressive treatment and prescribed Dakacort cream. We have been using it twice daily religiously and like others said, it goes down a bit but never fully clears then flares up again. Argh.

I'm consoling myself with the fact that DS is neither up nor down, no symptoms other than the rash itself and it's not dangerous or anything, it's just thinking will this fungus ever go away grin

< exasperated > .....

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 30-Sep-12 07:47:23

are you sure he doesnt have discoid eczema rather than ringworm?

quirrelquarrel Sun 30-Sep-12 13:48:43

I had this horribly for a bit. I'd put a pic on my profile so you could compare (honeslty- I bet your DS's is nowhere near as bad as mine was) but I think that'd be....gross. It was all over my tummy (about 11 y.o.) and when my parents finally found out it was spreading to my neck near my hair, on my face and back sad It went away super quickly when we went to the GP and got some strong cream. Canesten wouldn't do much except calm the irritation a bit. Another thing- easier said than done, but try to get him NOT to touch it- obviously it spreads very easily.

SunshadesOfGrey Sun 30-Sep-12 14:36:56

MrawMraw your poor ds! That sounds dreadful, I hope it clears up soon with the prescription stuff
Quirrel it's good to hear even severe ringworm does go with stronger meds.
Vodka I'm guessing that was some at Mraw but it has got me thinking too...

SunshadesOfGrey Sun 30-Sep-12 14:37:39

*aimed not some. Must preview posts

notactuallyme Sun 30-Sep-12 17:35:35

also once it's seemingly gone, keep putting cream on that area. you can ask for oral meds, iirc. ds had it really badly, and i was so worried it would go to his scalp. please check anilmals you come into contact with, otherwise it will never go away. i found neat tea tree oil really helped with some patches.

SunshadesOfGrey Sun 30-Sep-12 18:26:32

Thanks notactually I'll remember that if it ever goes away!! We don't have any pets so I don't know where it's come from.
Off to get my tea tree oil out now

notactuallyme Mon 01-Oct-12 08:00:02

Poor you - i was despairing by the end of it. 4 kids, all that washing and policing towels. Try doing one patch with tea tree as a comparison iyswim?

QOD Thu 04-Oct-12 18:38:07

Well I'm now on some super strength yellow shite with dressings . Got to do that for ten days and if it doesn't clear, off to a dermatologist

notactuallyme Thu 04-Oct-12 19:02:14

oh no. it's crap when skin stuff lingers - i had a massive panic overropseacea and posted on here. Got some fab advice tho.

DeadQODy Tue 09-Oct-12 19:51:14

Still here ,
...... Seems to be getting a tiny bit better!

notactuallyme Tue 09-Oct-12 21:44:45

Oh no, what are u using now?

DeadQODy Tue 09-Oct-12 22:32:47

Trimovate and a dressing n the top. Nicely stained skin! But does seem to be reducing a bit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now