Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Quick question - how long should an 8mo be ill for?

(10 Posts)
NellyBluth Thu 27-Sep-12 20:00:13

8mo has been running a temperature for 3 days now. Nothing too bad, just over 38 I think (our thermometer is crap, must get a new one at the weekend), she certainly feels warm to the touch. Last night she had a higher temperature and vomited. I called OOH's but they weren't concerned by anything and said just to keep her cool and hydrated. She is tired and grumpy, napping a bit more than usual, but she is still eating pretty well, both milk and solids, and she is still playing, and even laughing on occasion. She's not particularly snotty or coughy, though she has a tearduct/sinus issue which means she is generally quite snotty and coughy anyway so its quite hard to tell when she is more bunged up than usual! She's sleeping happily now and went through the night last night even after being spectacularly sick. She's teething several teeth, we think, which could be complicating the temperature issue.

She's my first baby and I don't know anyone with with older babies who's brains I can pick, and this is the first time she has been particularly ill. I can see she is poorly, but obviously not hugely ill. But it keeps mentioning online to take her to the GP if the temperature last several days. Can anyone tell me what is 'normal'? How long can a temperature last if it is some sort of virus? If she's still poorly Saturday morning, should I take her to the GP?

<really wishes babies came with manuals...>

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:02:52

I'd take her tomorrow if temperature hasn't come down

horsebiscuit Thu 27-Sep-12 20:06:23

If she's eating, playing, drinking, sleeping etc as you describe then I certainly wouldn't panic. It's more a high temp with a listless, non eating baby which would worry me.
Maybe buy a good digital thermometer and a child first aid/ healthcare book at the weekend. A spot of calpol helps bring down temperatures in our house, plus some gentle days. Trust your instincts not the Internet if you feel something's really not right though. I hope she feels better soon.

NellyBluth Thu 27-Sep-12 20:27:35

Thanks both. I've just checked on her and she feels a lot cooler, the Calpol must have finally taken effect. I definitely need a new thermometer - I bought this proper digital one from Lloyd's Pharmacy and it was fine to begin with, but we're on the second battery in 8 months and its still playing up! Grr.

You certainly don't look at her and think - my god, you're so ill! But she's distinctly under the weather. My gut says that, like anyone of any age, if you get a bug you feel rough and tired and irritated for a few days and then start to get better. But she is still a baby, so I don't want to write anything off, especially when they are at risk of fits if they get too hot.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 27-Sep-12 20:32:58

Glad she feels cooler. IME temps often last three days then come down so hope she is on the mend soon smile

Wigeon Thu 27-Sep-12 20:35:01

Definitely trust your instincts. If she goes all clingy-all-the-time, seems really miserable, floppy, won't eat: go to the doctor. If she is just a bit under the weather, Calpol does bring the temperature down, she is eating a bit (and definitely still drinking), then don't worry.

If you do keep worrying, just take her to the doctor - they are always very very happy to reassure parents of under 5s, especially first timers (or actually even second timers in my case!). Or they will tell you if it's anything to worry about. They never think or say you are wasting their time for something like this.

dikkertjedap Thu 27-Sep-12 20:37:15

Braun ear thermometers are very good IMO. Many Boots and Tesco sell them, but I think Amazon does them as well (Braun Thermoscan).

NellyBluth Thu 27-Sep-12 21:21:21

Thanks for the recommendation, dikkertjedap, I'll have a look in Boots for one.

I think I'm winding myself up now as she has been off colour for a few days so she might have been running a temperature for a while. We thought she was just tired from starting her settling in at the childminders so she's possibly been poorly for longer than we thought. If I don't take her tomorrow then its the weekend and we don't drive so its a real pain getting to the out of hours centre sad

NellyBluth Fri 28-Sep-12 18:48:07

Thanks for the recommendations to take her to the GP if it didn't come down - our first ear infection! If only someone had explained to her that babies are supposed to pull their ear if it hurts, I would have thought of it... grin

horsebiscuit Sun 30-Sep-12 22:08:19

Ah, poor little soul. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now