Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Worried about DS's development - motor skills/speech

(5 Posts)
Pammym Thu 27-Sep-12 14:04:55

For a while I have been worried that there is something wrong with DS. He is in year 1 and is 6 in November. He is quite uncoordinated, struggles with his writing and reading, and fine motor skills generally (e.g can't use scissors, can't do lego). He is quite clumsy, doesn't have v. good hand/eye coordination and his speech is sometimes not v. clear as he produces a lot of spit when talking. Conversely, he was v. quick to do things like riding a bike without stabilisers.

The speech I put down to problems with ear infections/hearing loss when he was a toddler and he has seen a SALT who wasn't too concerned about it but he does have some exercises which they do with him at school. But now, with all the other 'niggly' things, I have getting a bit concerned, especially as his teacher has also mentioned about the motor skills thing.

He also complains from time to time about 'achey legs' and this morning after talking to his teacher, I was so upset and worried that I came home and started googling 'muscular dystrophy' (sorry, I do get extremely paranoid sometimes). Although some of the things do crop up with that disease, the obvious ones, he doesn't have, like trouble with walking and running.

Please please can someone calm me down. By nearly 6, anything too awful like that would surely have been picked up before now?? What other things could it be?

Would be so grateful for any advice.

Thanks and sorry for long post.

HardlyEverHoovers Thu 27-Sep-12 18:02:43

Hi, sorry you are feeling like this, the imagination can really run away with you with children can't it?
I think the best thing you can do is list your concerns and go to the doctor. I'm sure it's nothing serious, but if he does need a bit of support to develop some skills the sooner you get that the easier things will be. Children do all have strengths and weaknesses, my DS currently seems to be the opposite, good with fine motor but mega slow with the bigger things.
I don't have a medical background at all, but do remember friends with children with achey legs, which was recognised within their family as 'growing pains', his dad had also suffered from it.
Always worth gettings things checked though, for peace of mind if nothing else!

Pammym Thu 27-Sep-12 20:52:55

Thanks Hardly. I really appreciate your reply. I am such a worrier! Have made an appointment to see Dr next week and you are right, if he needs some extra help, the sooner he gets it the better.

P.
xx

minceorotherwise Thu 27-Sep-12 21:04:50

Hi. I'm not medical but do understand the worry. Firstly, don't panic too much about achy legs, both my two have this at least twice a week and it's a very very common thing for children to have. Something to do with lactic acid in the muscles I think
With the other things you mention it could be mild dyslexia or dyspraxia, again very common issues, which when diagnosed early can be really helped with strategies for learning
Try not to worry. GP should be able to advise

Pammym Thu 27-Sep-12 21:57:14

Thanks mince, that is really comforting to hear. I am def going to ask GP for a referral. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now