Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bit of advice on chickenpox

(4 Posts)
snowchick1977 Thu 27-Sep-12 10:07:55

Hi

Dd has chickenpox. The first spot appeared 3 days ago and more keep coming. She is 14 months old.

I was just wondering the following:

- how long it could take for all of the spots to come out
- should I bath her (she is not sctratching at all)
- when will I be able to go out with her...ie when is it not contagious
- will all these spots develop into blisters and then scabs, or just some

She has about 100 spots now sad

Any advice would be welcome?

Thanks

EdMcDunnough Thu 27-Sep-12 10:26:01

It will probably take about 5 days before they stop appearing. Yes, bathe her but add some bicarb or some oats inside a pair of tights, to make the water more soothing.
I'm not sure about when it stops being contagious, opinions vary!
With my children, not all the spots that started actually turned into proper ones - once the body gets itself organised and is fighting the virus, a lot of the smaller and newer ones tend to disappear before they get anywhere.

EdMcDunnough Thu 27-Sep-12 10:26:24

I mean 5 days from the start iyswim - not another 5 days from now.

butterfingerz Thu 27-Sep-12 13:40:40

I think it's not contagious after all the spots have scabbed over completely, takes about a week. While any of the spots are weeping, she is still contagious.

I found 2-3 baths a day with plenty of calamine and tea tree oil healed the spots up quite quickly. My DS was 7 months and was covered from head to toe, he also gets eczema so I had to be more careful so hence the frequent baths as a bid to try and stop any infection occurring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now