Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Right bloody splinters.....

(11 Posts)
girliefriend Tue 25-Sep-12 20:57:00

any tips for getting one out of my 6yo dds big toe??!!

She screams if I go anywhere near it and is a complete wimp pain phobic!!

Is there a cream or something that would help draw it out or am I just going to have to sit on her and attack the toe with tweezers? (not tempting grin )

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 21:05:08

Bread poultice.

mylovelymonster Tue 25-Sep-12 21:09:16

A plaster or piece of sticky tape applied over splinter to soften skin and it should come out with same by the morning, other than that a soak/play in a warm bubble bath?

girliefriend Tue 25-Sep-12 21:19:33

Oh my goodness soaking wet bread in a hankerchief tied to her foot - don't know why I didn't think of it sooner hmm grin

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 25-Sep-12 21:24:39

Hey, it works! grin

Goldmandra Tue 25-Sep-12 22:25:49

I have a wimp pain phobic child just like yours. The only way I have ever got a splinter out of her has been to give her the tweezers and let her pull it out herself when it is bugging her enough that she felt it was worth it.

ThreePly Tue 25-Sep-12 22:33:07

Banana skin also works. Stick in inside side down with a bit of surgical tape overnight.

Flicktheswitch Tue 25-Sep-12 22:37:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iwillorderthefood Tue 25-Sep-12 22:53:50

Ask for a drawing lotion to get splinters out at pharmacy put it in under a p,aster will be out by morning

girliefriend Wed 26-Sep-12 20:04:18

Thankyou ladies, lots of ideas!! She is still complaining it is sore and I am beginning to wonder if it might actually be a verucca - very annoying!!!

mylovelymonster Wed 26-Sep-12 21:12:53

Ah if a veruca - be prepared to apply the lotion every night and file the dead bits down every few days for a number of weeks. My DD had one right at the very end of her big toe, just painfully tucked under her nail. It took months of squirming and squealing but when it finally went that was it & healed very well...........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now