Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Where best for kids' eye test?

(10 Posts)
HenriettaPootel Mon 24-Sep-12 17:21:23

Er, that's it really. I've just realised I ought to take DS1 for an eye test, as he's five and has never had one. Do all the main high street players offer basically the same thing? Are any of them more child-friendly than others? Thanks.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 24-Sep-12 17:22:35

Most opticians are franchises so I would imagine could vary from one branch to another. However I've always found Specsavers to be ok for dd with a fairly good range of frames.

MrsApplepants Mon 24-Sep-12 17:27:00

Took my 3 yr old to our local branch of vision express. They were really good with her and she enjoyed the eye test hugely!! She didn't need glasses so I'm not sure how they are with that but I was very pleased with how child friendly they were.

camgirl Tue 25-Sep-12 11:48:32

I was wondering this too ... I'm a long-time glasses wearer and I'm a little wary of taking children for eye tests at the same place that sells glasses... I've had too many opticians try and sell me a new pair when it's obvious I didn't really need them. Is there any way to get an eye test done via the NHS or health visiting team? (DSs are in private school so don't get them done at school alas.)

cheekyginger Fri 05-Oct-12 21:39:18

In Scotland, as of last year all children are offered a pre-school eye test by an Orthoptist (I'm an Orthoptist). A large part of our job is checking childrens eyes.

Most optometrits would be able to carry out eye tests on 5year+ easily enough. Some parents prefer smaller independent practices whilst other prefer bigger chains. The bigger stores may have better choice of frames but you may not see the same optician every time you go. There are pro's and con's to both.

It's fairly pot luck...best way of choosing is by asking other parents you know where they take there children, or as family/friends what optician they go to. smile

skateboarder Sat 06-Oct-12 16:15:34

I take mine to the local independent one. He is fantastic with them. Got lots of different scenes & images for them to look at. I suspect they all have though.
The fact he waves to them when we pass helps take any dread away as they 'know' him.
Best advice, go to one that has children of their own if you can.

KateShmate Sat 06-Oct-12 16:44:12

We've been to both Specsavers and a small independent one and have been pleased with both but would choose the independent one over Specsavers. No other reason apart from that they are happy to spend however long it takes to get the eye test done and are very thorough. I also found that the Independent opticians did more tests than Specsavers, but maybe this was for a reason?
Independent one had lots of really unusual frames too, and hardly any of the classic plain metal ones - they were all really funky!

blondefriend Wed 10-Oct-12 21:36:10

My dd had her eye test at an independent (aged 3) and they were great with her. Would always use an independent.

KeithLeMonde Wed 10-Oct-12 21:38:53

Do your child's school arrange an eye test? Our new reception intake all get their eyes tested in batches during the year.

We've used a local independent optician and found them excellent. They've given us fantastic service with no pressure to spend money unnecessarily. They've also helped out with small free fixes to glasses (very frequent with heavy-handed young glasses wearers!), advice etc.

LeFreak Wed 10-Oct-12 22:14:30

DD was referred by our health visitor to Community Ophthalmology. She was recently re-referred by the school nurse.

They do a basic eye test and put eye drops in to check the back of her eyes. This seems to be standard practice here, lots of children at DDs school get referred for eye tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now