Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

11 week old baby not had a poo for 3 days

(21 Posts)
mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:20:48

Hi there would like abit of advice, my 11 week old baby has gone 3 days now without a bowel movement, she is fully breastfed and for the first 8 weeks she has had a bowel movement nearly everyday and for the last few weeks it has slowed right down and now its gone the longest and dont know if this is normal for a fully breastfed baby.
any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Indith Mon 24-Sep-12 14:23:12

Don't worry, pretty normal for some bf babies. Whe it comes it will be impressive!

JuliaScurr Mon 24-Sep-12 14:24:22

If you drink orange juice, your milk will be a laxative for dd
smile

Rubirosa Mon 24-Sep-12 14:27:27

Very normal for a breastfed baby, they can go up to 10 days (sometimes even more!). So long as she isn't in discomfort or has a hard stomach it's fine.

Not sure that drinking orange juice will have any laxative effect on your milk grin but I wouldn't worry as you don't need a laxative anyway.

McPhee Mon 24-Sep-12 14:27:48

My Dd is the same age as yours and she's now on day 4 smile She's also only bf.

I'm not worried, as the HV says it's pretty normal as their insides mature for the poo to slow down.

I think we may be nearer to a result though, as she is farting for Britain grin

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:28:22

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated. wink

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:31:01

I know what you mean her farts are starting to get really smelly and she farting when she coughs and any outburst of a cry a fart comes with it.smile

Rubirosa Mon 24-Sep-12 14:32:46

Just count yourself lucky, my ds was a 10-times-a-day type! I'd have loved only one dirty nappy a week, especially as they were cloth...

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:32:50

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and put my mind at rest .grin

RillaBlythe Mon 24-Sep-12 14:33:13

Anything from 10times a day to once every 10 days is normal for a bf baby.

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:36:04

It saves on nappies, thats for sure, but when she goes it will cover everything it did last time, it was up her back , covered her bouncy chair and it was a 2 man job to clean her up... grin

piprabbit Mon 24-Sep-12 14:37:05

MN call it a poonami.

Be Prepared!

Indith Mon 24-Sep-12 14:38:07

ds2 did an up the back one today. It was spectacular. Sounded amazing when he did it too. I wouldn't complain about an up the back if it was every 3 or 4 days but he does a couple of poos a day!

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:38:34

Brilliant.. she must know im talking about her, because she has just started her bowel movement.. grin

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:39:26

And it STINKS....

stifnstav Mon 24-Sep-12 14:39:45

Oh dearie me its going to be everywhere when it eventually comes out!

DS went 5 days once and then it was like a tidal wave of Dijon mustard.

He now alternates between going every other day or every third day. As a result, there's a large volume of it, so on day 3 I am always quite nervous about leaving the house and having to deal with a "Code Brown" situation in public.

Sorry for the oversharing!

McPhee Mon 24-Sep-12 14:40:28

Damn, you beat us grin

Longdistance Mon 24-Sep-12 14:41:07

Lol. If she doesn't, I always suggest in cycling the legs to get the bowels moving ;)

DUCK!!!!!

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:44:43

Well it wasnt a poonami, but it was messy, just glad she has done the deed she might be a little happier now thats out. smile

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:45:54

MUSTARD GALORE.[GRIN]

mumyy Mon 24-Sep-12 14:48:24

Iknow what you mean, when i go anywhere i take at least half the wardrobe with me just in case... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now