Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD and the biggest scab known to man

(14 Posts)
cocolepew Sun 23-Sep-12 22:18:03

DD is 11 tomorrow and fell a few weeks ago cutting her knee. Since then it has oozed and scabbed over more times than enough. It covers her entire knee. We have covered it, not covered it, put cream on it, left it and tried spray on plaster. But still it is refusing to heal.

She mentioned that she had a spot on her bum, I had a look and it looked and told her put to germoline on it if it was annoying her. This was a few days ago, I checked it tonight and it has turned into another scab.

Any ideas why this is happening?

BeaWheesht Sun 23-Sep-12 22:20:52

Impetigo?

You could ask a pharmacist to take a look?

My dd has her birthday tomorrow too though she is only two - happy birthday to your dd!

sometimessunshine Sun 23-Sep-12 22:20:57

I wouldn't be able to say 100% without looking at it, but it sounds like it could be impetigo. I would take her to the GP tomorrow to get them to have a look. Hope that helps.

GolfOscarLimaDelta Sun 23-Sep-12 22:21:03

Has she recently had a virus or been under the weather?

Sometimes a lowered immune system can cause this.

I would take her to get checked with the gp though. I also think poor healing is a sign of diabetes? Worth getting checked out though.

quoteunquote Sun 23-Sep-12 22:21:31

does she pick in her sleep?

get it checked out to put your mind at rest, it's always worth having a medical check , knees bend so can take a while.

what's her diet like?

cocolepew Sun 23-Sep-12 22:25:46

She does catch every bug going, but is in good enough health atm. I am a bit concerned about it.
Can you get impetigo anywhere? <dense> I thought it was just your face.

Happy birthday to your DD too!

cocolepew Sun 23-Sep-12 22:26:48

I'm going to the dr on tuesday, I was going to mention it to her.

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Sun 23-Sep-12 22:27:59

I would get a GP to take a look. The knee could be infected. This happened to dh this year. The scab of a scrape took forever to go and he got cellultis in the leg and had umpteen lots of abs to fix it.

RandomMess Sun 23-Sep-12 22:28:21

Could it be psorasis??? It can come on suddenly and dds cuts get horrific scabs that just do not heal sad

RandomMess Sun 23-Sep-12 22:28:49

Def a trip to walk in or GP asap.

cocolepew Sun 23-Sep-12 22:30:53

Looking at impetigo pictures I think it could be it. I thought it her knee must be infected tonight, it just isn't getting better.

Thanks for the replies everyone smile I'll definitely take her to the drs.

GhouliaYelps Sun 23-Sep-12 22:34:04

I'll bet that's impetigo, can get v nasty she will need some medicine.

cocolepew Sun 23-Sep-12 22:36:00

It never occurred to me that you could get it on your knee.

cocolepew Tue 02-Oct-12 22:52:21

Thanks for your replies, I mentioned to the Dr about it possibly being impetigo (DD wasn't there) and she gave me oral antibiotics.

Between that and Manuka honey she is now nearly scab free smile

I really would not have thought of impetigo myself .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now