Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS (7) due to have 4 teeth removed under GA next week any advice?

(13 Posts)
stinkymice Sun 23-Sep-12 20:59:32

Says it all really. DS (7) is due to have 4 baby teeth removed under general anesthetic and I was hoping to hear from anyone else who's child have gone through this to know what to expect. DH had 6 teeth removed when he was a child and said it was horrid and did not do dentists for years. I was hoping to hear modern dentistry is not so traumatizing.

EldonAve Sun 23-Sep-12 21:03:57

Not had removal but my 7 yo had work done under GA

We were at the hospital & they were v good. Entire session was kids so they were good at explaining to them etc
I went in with him when they put him under which was a bit upsetting as I'm a wussy fainting type but I survived. He yelled a bit at having the venflon (sp?) in his hand but they can use gas if need be

He was woozy when he came round and in a bit of pain but otherwise fine

I guess with extraction you may get some bleeding etc & they'll need to do salt mouthwash for a bit

Good luck

stinkymice Sun 23-Sep-12 21:09:46

Thank you. I too am a fainty type! My DS1 had op for hernia when he was about 10 months old and the going under bit was fine. At 7 though the reaction might be different. At the moment he is just excited about getting 2 days off school!

Carty80 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:13:50

DS had 6 back teeth removed last week under GA. I made DH go in with him, he had to blow up the 'balloon' which was attached to the gas mask and count to 20, by 5 he was asleep.

Woke up crying and some bleeding, an hour later we were home and he was fine. Has been fine ever since, no problems at all.

Good luck!

Shallishanti Sun 23-Sep-12 21:14:54

my ds had an extraction under GA (a tooth that hadn't yet erupted) my advice would ask very carefully what to expect once he's discharged as DS had a lot of swelling, bleeding and pain which was apparently normal but we hadn't expected as we weren't told
good luck
sorry didn't mean to worry you- probably having milk teeth out won't be as bad

Carty80 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:15:16

My DS is 6 and also enjoyed the 2 days off school!

stinkymice Sun 23-Sep-12 21:17:42

Oh I had forgotten about the counting, seen on TV, nice to realise how quickly they go to sleep while thinking about something else. Also good to hear you got home an hour later.

frankie4 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:18:50

My ds had this and he was fine. They put a local anaesthetic cream on his hand before they inserted the tube. He went under fine, and was in an OK mood when he woke up. He was woozy for the rest of the day and horribly sick a few times. But by the next day he was fine, playing in the garden, and didn't even need pain killers. His gums healed up well too.

herladyship Sun 23-Sep-12 21:25:00

DD had 6 teeth out under GA a couple of months ago, 2 adult teeth & 4 first set (due to overcrowding)

She was home same day, had 4 stitches in her mouth which irritated her but apart from that she was fine! Id made & frozen lots of soup but she also enjoyed yoghurts, mashed potato & pasta dishes.

I was so worried about the GA (she has a heart murmur) but anaesthetist, surgeon & nurses were absolutely brilliant smile she was only gone from ward an hour

dd (11) still chats about her trip to hospital as if it was a day out & was not at all worried at follow up appointment or at our next dental visit..

hth smile

stinkymice Sun 23-Sep-12 21:33:21

Hmm the only soup he likes is Heinz tomato. That would not be too good, I think a bit stingy. I used to enjoy making soups but they wouldn't touch them.

mosschops30 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:36:54

You should be able to go through to the anaesthetic room until they get him off to sleep.
They shoukd call you to recovery once hes awake.

Expect some bleeding, and some pain

Good luck

stinkymice Mon 24-Sep-12 09:41:48

Thank you for replies. Just read this through with DH to prepare ourselves. He just said he remembers throwing up lots of blood. Aghhh.

Acinonyx Mon 24-Sep-12 19:55:46

DD, 7 just had 2 teeth our under GA today. Had gas first then the needle, which helped a lot. Not much bleeding, home in just over an hour. Had pasta, then later scrambled egg with bread and butter. Planning to go to school tomorrow with a softish packed lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now