Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby DD poorly

(17 Posts)
Flosie1989 Sun 23-Sep-12 20:17:46

Hi all.

I hope someone can help me.

My 20 week old DD hasn't been very well today, more so this evening.

She's had very light coloured watery diarrhoea which looks quite bitty at the same time (sorry for tmi). Also she's been very unsettled this evening to say the least crying lots which seems to me like a cry due to discomfort. Kind of a similar cry to when she's got trapped wind.

The only thing I haven't done is check her temperature but she's asleep now so dont want to disturb her. If she wakes again I will check.

I started weaning 3 weeks ago on advice of HV, so she had a small amount of baby rice this morning and that's it. She has previously been fine on baby rice so don't think it's that. The other thing is she hasn't had much of her feeds today, she usually guzzles 8oz 5 times a day but has only had 4oz per feed today. She is formula fed.

I'll see how she goes overnight and in the morning and of she's still not right I'll take her to the gp. But was just wondering if anyone has any advice for now?

Flosie1989 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:09:01

Anyone?

Mumlar Sun 23-Sep-12 21:12:31

Bump

NellyBluth Sun 23-Sep-12 21:15:48

Don't have any answers but I didn't want to leave you unanswered. As far as I know 20z is still a decent amount of fluids - when a friend's baby was poorly the GP mentioned something about 10oz being low. Does your DD ever dreamfeed? If you are worried about her not drinking enough then, if you can lift her out of her cot without waking her, maybe try offering her a bottle in her sleep. Not all babies will drink like this, but I always did this when DD had a really bad eating day.

If her temperature is ok and she is sleeping happily then I would just keep an eye on her, but if her nappy is still lose tomorrow and she's not eating much then I'd take her to the GP. She's only little so its never wrong to check.

elliebug Sun 23-Sep-12 21:16:18

If it were me I would give calpol if I thought she was in pain and maybe offer cool boiled water if you're worried about dehydration, ring ooh gp if your worried and def go in morning, if it helps my DS was unwell at about 15 weeks and had 7oz in 24 hours!! BH weekend of course, ooh go we're really good, saw him and put my mind at rest, bit only lasted about 36 hours i think, hope she feels better soon

elliebug Sun 23-Sep-12 21:16:49

Were really good even!

Flosie1989 Sun 23-Sep-12 21:24:05

Thank you everyone smile

nelly I have never dream fed her but may think about doing it tonight, thank you.

It's just she usually loves her food (milk) but just seems to have gone right off it today. I don't even think she could be bothered to have the smaller feeds either to be honest!

Sorry for being a typical worried first time mum blush

I'll see how tonight goes.

NellyBluth Sun 23-Sep-12 21:26:54

If you've never done it, just lift her out in dim lights and touch her lips with the bottle - then, if she takes the teat but doesn't drink, you can stroke her cheek or under her chin to encourage her to drink. Give her a really good wind afterwards and at that age I still held DD kind of upright for a few minutes just in case she was going to bring any milk back up.

DialMforMummy Sun 23-Sep-12 21:29:14

Check the temperature (you can touch her, see if she feels warmer than usual or take it when you do the dream feed) and hit the Calpol if she has some. Do not cover her too much if she has a fever.
She could be teething. Sometimes when they are teething, they can be off their food and have some runny poos.

DialMforMummy Sun 23-Sep-12 21:30:19

if she has some meaning if she has a fever.

theowlworrier Mon 24-Sep-12 02:50:06

Hi Flosie, my 6mo dd has been unwell this week sad sounds similar to yours. Lots of pooping and fountains of vomit. I think she was a bit under the weather after a long trip back to the uk and flight home, then vaccinations and then teeth. I kept an eye on her temp which was high at one point. I couldnt get her to keep any baby paracetamol down (I dont think she liked the flavour!), so used a cool flannel. It did come down.
Otherwise just try to keep her hydrated. Cooled boiled water in a bottle might help. Dd wouldn't take very much formula at all- she screamed blue murder after less than an ounce, but would eat loads of rice, bananas and sweet potato, so we gave her bland solids plus some water. It took a full 4 days before she was anywhere near drinking her usual amount again. Lots of cuddles will help too.

Flosie1989 Mon 24-Sep-12 07:33:52

Checked temperature twice today. First time was 34.2 and the second time was 35.9.

She's had another bout of diarrhoea this morning as well as being sick. It's not the usual baby milky sick it looks more like bile.

I'll be ringing the doctors when they open at 8:30.

DialMforMummy Mon 24-Sep-12 07:58:57

Sounds like gastro enteritis then. Plenty fluids.

NellyBluth Mon 24-Sep-12 10:33:39

Poor thing. Definitely sounds like a tummy bug. Keep offering milk and water and I hope the GP has given her something to make her feel better.

Flosie1989 Mon 24-Sep-12 12:12:58

Ok so just got back from the doctors and I'm not convinced by what he said. I explained everything including the fact she's gone off her feeds and not weeing very much at all. He just said that sometimes babies get confused if they need to wee or poo so may do the wrong one.....basically saying that she's pooing instead of weeing! I've never heard of this before! He took her temperature which was 35 degrees which he said is just right.....I thought this was low??

He examined her and sent us away with a prescription for dioalyte to ease her loose bowels.

DD does seem much better and happier in herself but I'm just not convinced that the doctor was very thorough. Plus he had a video camera set up on a tripod facing us! Whether it was on or not I don't know.....

Flosie1989 Mon 24-Sep-12 12:19:46

Just tried feeding again and has only had 3oz sad

DeWe Mon 24-Sep-12 14:20:09

If the video camera was on he'd have to ask your permission, and there would (in our surgery) be a notice up about it. Doctors do have to video themselves as part of assessments, so not an indication of anything.

Never heard that about weeing/pooing but never mind...

35 deg is low (I assume it was an in the ear) but not badly so. My dc would be 36.2-36.7 normally.

For checking at that age, I'd expect them to, feel tummy, check temperature, feel the fontella gently and probably check heartbeat/breathing for that. They might also check ears and throat (although that usually upsets the child) and possibly feel under the chin for glands up. I have known one who listens to the tummy, but I think feeling it is more common.

Sometimes they are off food and under the weather for no noticable reason. If she deteriorates (temperature comes up and won't come down with calpol, goes floppy/unresponsive, isn't waking for food, screams non-stop) then go back either to GP or to A&E.

To check temperature by hand the easiest I've found is to put the side of my face against their forehead. Leave it there for a couple of minutes. If their temperature is normal, after a couple of minutes it will feel pleasantly warm/similar to you. If the temperature is up then it will still feel hot.

If she seems happier and better, she probably is. Make sure she keeps drinking, little and often is good, she may take it better by syringe (medicine syringes are great for this) Don't worry too much about the exact amount she's taking, she may not be that hungry. As long as she's taking some and isn't getting dehydrated.

Lots of cuddles-I found like that tucking us both up on the sofa with a duvet round us (me sitting up not lying down) and with something to watch/a book to read, was most soothing -for dc as well as me. In fact ds (age 5yo) still likes to do that when he's ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now