Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My five year old DD has a 'pregnancy line' (Linear Nigra?) on her tummy. Is this normal?

(33 Posts)
ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 14:19:48

It's faint but noticeable - Her brother has an even fainter and thinner one his tummy - but his is barely noticeable. I don't want to make her feel self conscious about it by taking her to the doctors so I was wondering if anyone else's dd's have this or not. Bit worried.

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 17:25:06

Anyone?

BertieBotts Sun 23-Sep-12 17:28:47

It's just pigment isn't it? Does she have dark hair? It's probably nothing - it only happens in pregnancy because you produce more melanin, like people with freckles may notice that they get darker in pregnancy.

I have one all the time, although it gets darker when I'm pregnant and at certain times of the month (maybe when I'm ovulating? I must make a note of the dates one time) DD also has a faint one, and I've just checked the DSs and they have one too. We're quite olive skinned (DC are half Cypriot) so I put it partly down to that. I don't think it's anything to be worried about tbh!

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 19:30:10

Thank's MrsDmitriTippensKrushnic, that's really reassuring. There is a bit of oliveyness on my side, but not allot. I'm sure she has just developed it over the last week or so. I was just worried incase it was related to hormones. Her's is about half a cm wide, allot thicker than DS's.

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 19:32:13

Hi BertieBotts, she has brown hair, brown eyes and is hairy (like all the women on my side). The line isn't that dark, but is noticable. It's just appeared recently I'm sure. That's what bugs me a bit, but perhaps she is just growing and will have one.

BertieBotts Sun 23-Sep-12 19:36:14

Well if you're worried I'm sure there would be no harm in getting it checked, but I'm sure it's nothing. smile

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 20:00:07

Hmmmmmm.

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 20:07:13

It looks just like this http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=toddler+linea+nigra&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1092&bih=533&tbm=isch&tbnid=fcGL9U2jzm50-M:&imgrefurl=http://www.thepregnancyforum.com/general-discussion/48931-linea-nigra-toddler.html&docid=X3EbjKezObHb_M&imgurl=http://i54.tinypic.com/11vguo4.jpg&w=480&h=640&ei=vl1fUIGkBK6N0wWhloG4CQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=743&vpy=129&dur=1939&hovh=260&hovw=195&tx=103&ty=113&sig=103605691963533435874&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=136&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:80

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 20:08:06

Oooops - it looks just like this this

That's about the same as my DCs. Not 'in your face' but definitely there. If you're worried there's no harm in talking to your GP, better to put your mind at ease that have a niggling worry about it smile

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 21:18:27

Thanks MDTK. Can I just ask if they have always been there on your DC's or did they develop it when they were older.

I tend to worry allot about my kids health and so I try to really think about it hard before I take them to the Drs as I dont want them to grow up with health anxiety. My DD had ops as a baby and ongoing health probs due to a bowel defect andI worry that she has been looked at too much by Drs. Hence researching and milling things over before I decide wether or not to take her.

I honestly can't remember, sorry (they're 14,12 and almost 9 - it's been a while since they were little!)

Quick look in my box of random baby photos though shows that DS1 at least had a faint line at around 6 months (bath time pictures!)

KurriKurri Sun 23-Sep-12 22:15:54

ilovehugs - if you don't want to take her to the docs unnecessarily (understandable if she has had various health problems) why not get the GP to phone you (you can usually book a phone call by ringing first thing when the surgery opens) and you can describe the line on her tummy, - they may well be able to tell you it's nothing to worry about without seeing her.

blueshoes Sun 23-Sep-12 22:16:04

Yes

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 22:46:49

That's a fab idea - I think I'll do that. smile

Musomathsci Sun 23-Sep-12 22:51:22

DS has quite a noticeable line - he's 11 now and I'm pretty sure he developed it around 4 or 5, maybe a bit earlier. I think it's just a normal variant and nothing to worry about. He is mixed race - British / Asian and his skin is significantly darker than my other 2 DCs, so I just assumed it was part of that colour scheme!

ilovehugs Sun 23-Sep-12 23:06:30

That's reassuring Musomathsci that another child got one at about that time. DD isn't mixed race but we do have a bit of Olive skin and dark looks which follow the female line.

LeFreak Sun 23-Sep-12 23:29:19

My 5 yo DD has one. I had one as a child as did my 2 sisters. They disappeared around puberty. It's normal, but I think maybe only certain people get them. We are all fair skinned btw.

ilovehugs Mon 24-Sep-12 00:27:12

Thanks LeFreak. Can I ask if your DD, your sisters were born with it or developed it?

ilovehugs Mon 24-Sep-12 13:48:58

Thanks also MrsDmitriTippensKrushnic for going through your photos for me. smile

Queeg500 Mon 24-Sep-12 13:55:06

I had one when I was little too, it just faded away as I got older. I thought it might come back when I was pg but didn't. confused

ilovehugs Mon 24-Sep-12 14:06:46

How strange Queeg500 - i would have thought if you had one when young it would come back when pg,

ilovehugs Mon 24-Sep-12 18:31:44

Well rang surgery and spoke for the first time to our new GP (old one has left). Was told it is 'not normal' and I have to bring her in. sad r worried now. She had so many problems when she was younger and I hate having to deal with worry/tests/drs. She was really frosty on the phone too. And I have to wait for almost a week to get seen. sad

LeFreak Mon 24-Sep-12 23:52:58

To answer your question -my DD didn't have one as a baby / toddler. It has developed in the last year. I'm not worried about it at all, my sisters and I are all completely normal I can reassure you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now