Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can someone please confirm this for me please?(headlice question)

(7 Posts)
onepieceoflollipop Sat 22-Sep-12 22:23:09

Both my dds (primary age) went back to school this term completely clear headed. Dd2 came home with 2 lice within 48 hours. No eggs, no further evidence of anything nit-related. I condition/nitty gritty them both a couple of times a week.
Last night, 2 weeks after finding 2 lice, I found 2 more. Again, no eggs, nothing else. Is it just a case of her being in contact with an infested child, and a couple are wandering onto her head but I am managing to comb them out before they start laying/hatching/breeding?!

onepieceoflollipop Sat 22-Sep-12 22:25:01

Frustratingly I know that some of the children aren't checked at home. I went round and suggested that people might like t check, some people said they didn't know how to and "as far as they knew" their child was clear!

Viperidae Sat 22-Sep-12 22:42:46

Yes, if you are finding just occasional lice and no nits you are catching them before they establish a full infestation.

The tactic of conditioning and combing is your best bet as, sadly, you can't rely on other people to be as responsible as you are.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 22-Sep-12 22:45:27

Thank you Viperidae. That's what I was hoping for. It's not great, BUT I prefer to find the odd couple and get rid before a potential full blown infestation. Thankfully dd1 is clear but she ties her hair up.

meditrina Sat 22-Sep-12 22:50:09

You can miss eggs (they're so cemented on), but if you are combing frequently you'll get them out as hatchlings before they are sexually mature and establish an infestation. As a mature louse can lay some 30 eggs a day, one hopping on from someone else can lead to a big problem quickly, but you can keep this in check by frequent regular combing.

Theas18 Sat 22-Sep-12 22:52:12

Yup just keep combing out the few lice she picks up and all will be well. Dd2 was like this it about a year. Someone wasn't sorting their child out. Resigned self to a lot of " it'll make you hair so soft and silky" - which it really does.

onepieceoflollipop Sun 23-Sep-12 13:05:55

Thanks for the replies. smile I'll keep on combing then...

Yes Theas18, the soft silkiness is a benefit to the conditioning and combing. My own hairdresser commented on the beautiful condition my own hair was in - I told her it was due to applying half a bottle of cheap asda conditioner, then combing through with the nitty gritty (twice in 48 hours). I had no lice, but my hair was gorgeous!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now