Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Headlice

(8 Posts)
BeckenhamAndie Sat 22-Sep-12 18:56:38

I can't believe it. They have only been back at primary school a fortnight and the infestations are back. I've tried every treatment from Boots over the years and combed and combed and combed, but they are always back after a couple of weeks after treatment. My twins are boys with reasonably short hair. Any one any thoughts? A friend of mine said she uses hair straighteners on her daughter's hair. my boys not so keen on that idea..

IHeartKingThistle Sat 22-Sep-12 18:57:53

Do you use the Nitty Gritty comb?

BeckenhamAndie Sat 22-Sep-12 21:46:36

I haven't tried it no. I've got an electronic comb that I got from boots but it doesn't really help. It misses the eggs. Does nitty gritty comb work?

IHeartKingThistle Sat 22-Sep-12 21:48:39

Yep! Gets the eggs too.

AberdeenAnxious Sat 22-Sep-12 22:33:04

I got the Nitty Gritty comb and I love it. I use it every time we wash the kids' hair even though they haven't had nits for a wihle now.

ohforfoxsake Sat 22-Sep-12 22:37:10

Nitty gritty comb and cheap tea-tree conditioner. I do my girls every week just in case.

In some areas if you take evidence of lice to the chemist you get free Hedrin.

BeckenhamAndie Sat 06-Oct-12 14:11:50

Thanks everyone so much. I am now a convert to the Nitty Gritty comb and I got some tea-tree spray from neil's yard which seems to keep them away too. Hugs to you all x

Goldmandra Sat 06-Oct-12 19:06:29

If they are coming back after a couple of weeks they are probably from eggs on your sons' head that you have missed.

You need to use the Nitty Gritty comb with conditioner to go through every strand of the whole family's hair every three days for three weeks. This will mean that you remove any newly hatched critters before they are old enough to lay eggs.

After they are properly clear you need to comb and condition their hair regularly once a week to catch any new residents before a major infestation develops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now