Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My daughter had 4x Dulcolax 2.5mg tablets at 6:30pm and it still hasn't worked!!

(6 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Sat 22-Sep-12 14:08:48

Hi, my 7.5 year old daughter has suffered with chronic constipation and soiling most of her life. She's been on movicol for years, and although it helps with the regularity, she still soils many times throughout the day.

She's just gone on to a stimulant laxative that is meant to work throughout the night, then she'll have a huge BM in the morning which will hopefully clear her out for the day.

The first night she had 2x 2.5mg capsules of Dulcolax, then had a small BM in her knickers at 6pm the following day. I phoned a nurse who said she must be really good at holding on and advised me to give her 4 tablets that evening. I gave her these at 7pm last night, and so far she's just had one small BM, again in her knickers.

What should I do tonight? Her nurse is away until monday. She can go up to 5 tablets each night, but I'm concerned it's not doing anything.

She's also been given some enimas, but that was just in case she couldn't swallow the tablets.

I'd be really greatful for any advice. smile

mummyloveslucy Sat 22-Sep-12 14:19:17

Bump

They are a softener, so they can take a few days to start to work. Keep going with them for the next few days, along with the usual stuff - lots of fluids, fruit etc, dried apricots.

If the small bits she passed were hard little maltesers, and she seems uncomfortable in her bottom I would give the enema, everything that has been sitting right in the bottom end for days will be hard and dried up now and possibly quite difficult to pass. Hope she gets more of a 'result' soon.

mummyloveslucy Sat 22-Sep-12 14:27:53

Thank you. smile The poos that she's had are normal ones, about the consistancy of play dough.

We'll just persavere with the 4 tablets each night then.

mummyloveslucy Sun 23-Sep-12 19:44:59

I gave her 5 last night and this morning, it worked! To say the least, but she still had several accidents afterwards. I've given her 4 tonight to see how that goes.

Great news. You may be able to tweak the dose down a little once she is going a bit more reliably.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now