Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vomiting thick mucous

(23 Posts)
vvviola Sat 22-Sep-12 13:19:24

DD2 (age 1) either has a cold or is having an allergic reaction to something - lots of nasal congestion. It has got worse as the day went on. It seems every time we leave the house she comes back with a cold.

Tonight I heard choking noises & went to check her & she'd got sick everywhere. She's since got sick twice more, big lots of clear-ish mucous. I can hear her stomach heaving just before. I'm concerned that it might be something more serious that I'm missing. (she had antihistamine today for a totally separate issue)

I'm sitting up in bed with her (catching it in a towel each time). She's asleep right now, and wheezing a little, but otherwise fine.

I'll be bringing her to the out of hours doc in the morning, but is there anything I can do now to help us get through the night? (I'm not happy to put her in her cot right now, and I will sit up all night if I need to, but a bit of sleep for us both would probably be better)

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:31:53

Just sounds like a heavy cold to me, they often vomit the mucous as they can't blow their noses yet.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:32:34

The wheezing should definitely be checked out though

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:33:32

Can also try sitting in bathroom and running hot shower , when she wakes, the steam will clear her head

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sat 22-Sep-12 13:34:19

what did she have antihistimine for, it may appear to be unconected but It may not be?

steamy bathroom will help.

I would say it is probably a chest infection. this happened to my dd and she had tonsilitis and a chest infection. i think if yiu are worried though call a DR. If they do home visits. I did and usualy they dont come out but they did in this instance.

Im sure it appears worse than it is. it is always amazing how much children can vomit.

If she is bunged up have you considered sucking the snot out? grim, but it really does relieve them I have done this often when my dd was very young.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sat 22-Sep-12 13:35:06

x posts with fanjo

vvviola Sat 22-Sep-12 13:37:07

Antihistamine was for hives on her face (has happened a few times... we think traces of egg or dairy on DH's clothes)

I got the nose sucker thing out of the cupboard - I may yet use it.

Bunbaker Sat 22-Sep-12 13:39:24

Can you not get an out of hours appointment today?

vvviola Sat 22-Sep-12 13:39:36

And shall do the bathroom/steam thing now.

Fanjo I agree 100% re getting the wheezing checked out, but I think my instincts are right that it can wait til morning unless it gets worse.

I tend to second-guess myself a lot at this time of the night!

vvviola Sat 22-Sep-12 13:40:36

Bunbaker it's 1am here right now. If it was daytime I'd be waiting in the clinic right now... grin

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sat 22-Sep-12 13:46:33

I would say it is connected then if she has alergies, definatly milk, cant say about egg as know nothing about egg alergy, but dd had lactose intolerance and these incidences of heavy colds and chest infections stopped when she stopped having milk products. I would say heavy mucous are connected with milk.

I would try and get a dr out to see her though if they will.

Thumbwitch Sat 22-Sep-12 13:46:50

If you can sleep with her, keeping her slightly raised, it might help keep her breathe better and less likely to vomit.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:48:49

Antihistamine will also dry up the mucous if you give her it again

vvviola Sat 22-Sep-12 13:52:01

TheEnthusiasticTroll she (and I - still bf) hasn't had dairy in any form in months. But it could be something else alright.

While I've been posting her sleep has got progressively more peaceful & she's now spread out like a starfish across me. No more vomiting. The wheeze has even stopped.

I thought on my second child I would panic quite as much. Clearly not hmm

Bunbaker Sat 22-Sep-12 15:41:30

Sorry. I didn't realise you weren't in the UK. I hope your DD feels better soon.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sat 22-Sep-12 16:34:32

sorry I thought you said that dh may have had some milk or egg on his jumper.

TheEnthusiasticTroll Sat 22-Sep-12 16:35:38

clothes not jumper sorry grin

HotheadPaisan Sat 22-Sep-12 16:48:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HotheadPaisan Sat 22-Sep-12 16:50:05

vvviola Sat 22-Sep-12 17:50:19

Oh TheEnthusiasticTroll, yes I see what you mean. I was thinking of having/eating dairy rather than just exposure to it.

Hmm... need to try to figure out the timeline of it all. I thought the congestion had started before the hives, but I wonder could they be connected...

vvviola Sun 23-Sep-12 06:29:51

Copying message from the other thread. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
And she got worse again... took her to out of hours service. Doc reckoned it was related to allergies and gave me Ventolin to help keep her airways clear. Strict instructions to return if it gets as bad as last night again. sad

Poor little thing. She's perfectly fine between bouts of it. She's probably keeping every second feed down & hasn't eaten anything today.

I'm very glad she's got an appointment with the paediatrician about her allergies in a week's time.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Sun 23-Sep-12 06:39:25

My DD is the same, I find a wee bit of piriton really helps dry it up, although she is 5 (its avaiable for 6 months plus though) Paediatrician will probably recommend the same, although of course I hope you get to the bottom of the allergy and can eliminate the offending food/item.

HotheadPaisan Sun 23-Sep-12 08:27:25

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now