Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ringworm

(5 Posts)
bigboobsatlast Fri 21-Sep-12 11:25:36

My 2.5 yo DD has, I am pretty sure, ringworm in her nappy area (definitely not thrush). It is a small red circle which looks sore and DD says it itches and hurts. Made GP apt for next week but after speaking to the HV she is now going today.

Is this common? Is it ridiculously contagious? what should I be doing to look out for more on DD and other DCs (I have 4 month old DTs) and to minimise it spreading? I know I am seeing GP later but getting myself in a tiz about us all getting covered in it and DDs nursery having to close for a deep clean because of us blush

Any words of wisdom gratefully received

chuckeyegg Fri 21-Sep-12 15:49:28

It's just a fungal infection like atheletes foot and easily treated. Don't stress over it, washing clothes at 60degrees can kill any spores. Just don't share any towels with her.

bigboobsatlast Fri 21-Sep-12 18:48:27

Thanks chuckey. Been to the docs who said its not that contagious! Got dactarin and being more rational now

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 21-Sep-12 21:22:16

You need to have broken skin for the fungus to get in. I have found Dactarin and Lamisil pretty useless canestan is fab and works really well.
When my mum had it last year she was given Lamisil by pharmacist which didn't work went to GP and admitted that her daughter who was a vet had originally suggested telling a teeny white lie to get canestan. GP said yes your daughter was right.

steppemum Fri 21-Sep-12 21:54:01

dd had it on her leg for weeks before I realised it wasn't just a bit of sore skin. No-one else has caught it.

gp gave us cream, and told us it isn't very infectious, you have to scratch the bad bit really hard and then scratch a piece of broken skin to pass it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now