Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Would you just turn up at doctors' surgery?

(10 Posts)
RedKites Thu 20-Sep-12 23:04:35

DS, 2, recently banged his head. It swelled up and there was some blood, so this was worse than any head injury he's had before. I rang NHS direct who talked me through some questions and told me to go to A&E. It turns out our A&E has a children's A&E. They were great, we hardly waited at all, and they quickly established it wasn't as bad as it looked so he didn't even need stitches.

However, I was talking to my DM afterwards, and she said she'd have just gone to the GP. I said I'd thought about that, but it can be hard to get through on the phone, and as they may not have had an appointment, they might well have just sent me to A&E anyway. She said she wouldn't call, just turn up, and that she'd done that when we were small. Do people do this, or is it just my mum?!

lisad123 Thu 20-Sep-12 23:06:55

Personally no real point. If its urgent we go to A&E, if it requires a GP we get appointment. He likely would have sent you to a&e anyways

Sirzy Thu 20-Sep-12 23:12:54

If its an urgent thing like that was then A and E is the best option.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 20-Sep-12 23:14:27

My GP would have had a look if it was a small child. But we're lucky as we have a minor injuries unit at the local cottage hospital so I'd have gone there instead.

omfgkillmenow Thu 20-Sep-12 23:17:53

We used to have open surgery every morning where you could just turn up but it got so busy that they had to change it for appointments. They still have open surgery in the next village and its an affiliated practice so if needs be you can just go there and wait. But they ALWAYS hold one or two appointments back for emergencies, as i had to have one on Monday as severe asthmatic and took a bad chest infection over the weekend.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Thu 20-Sep-12 23:20:49

depends where you live in comparison to the surgery, mine is physically across the road from my house ( can see it now well could if it wasn't dark )
when DS2 got a plastic bolt lodged in his throat I ran across to them but in your situation I would have done what you did

creamteas Thu 20-Sep-12 23:25:14

I did once. My DD was 3 and woke up with a fever, dosed her with calpol, but it didn't seem to be working. Then she started complaining about her neck hurting. A & E is at least a 30 minute drive, the GP surgery is just round the corner.

By the time I got into the surgery, DD was very pale and limp in my arms. The receptionists got us into see the first doctor available. They put her on antibiotics immediately, and we were picked up from the surgery by ambulance.

Thankfully it wasn't meningitis, but she was still in hospital for nearly a week.

RedKites Fri 21-Sep-12 09:24:30

Sorry, went to bed and didn't expect so many replies so quickly. Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I agree if my GP were across the road then I might have gone in to see. The GP is somewhat nearer than A&E but both would have involved getting in the car (at least in a semi-emergency) and finding somewhere to park so there was probably only 5-10 minutes difference- and I knew they'd see me at A&E. On the other hand the difference in journey times was probably greater from the house we lived in when I was growing up so it probably made sense for DM to do the opposite.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 21-Sep-12 21:25:59

Our GPs receptionists would have told you to turn right round and go to minor injuries where children with head injuries are given pirority. I have become experienced at apply clean ironed tea towel that DD holds firmly to head and we jump in car to minor injuries. She is a one child disaster zone!!!!

DeWe Sat 22-Sep-12 18:02:42

I've done it a couple of times. The GP checks various things like reflexes esp. eye/pupil. And says either these are what you need to look out for or suggests you go to A&E.
If there was loss of consciousness or other definite sign of concussion/problems then I'd go straight to A&E but if it's more reassurance then I'd go to the GP. But I am very confident in the ability of the senior partner, and that he will see my dc if I request it, which makes a huge difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: