Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Verrucas - what's the current advice?

(29 Posts)
HazeltheMcWitch Tue 24-Jul-12 20:45:39

Have just noticed a couple of verrucas on DD, 7yo. I know I can try banana skin / duct tape / over the counter things to get rid, but what is the current advice, does any one know?

Back in my day, it meant a trip to the verruca clinic and a plastic sock when swimming. I suspect the verruca clinics are long gone now. DD has 2x swimming lessons per week, yet I can't rememeber ever seeing anyone wearing a verruca sock. Are they just Not Done now, does anyone know?

CloudRazor Tue 24-Jul-12 23:34:46

Wee on it. Seriously. It cures them really quickly. wink

gordonpym Wed 25-Jul-12 07:41:20

Duct tape worked fine for us, when after 3 weeks of drops the situation was only getting worse. I took some isolation tape from DH's tool box, and put it on the verruca. after 4 days it was gone. I swear.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 25-Jul-12 10:41:33

Hmm, I think I'll opt for duct tape over urine. I have both, but I am fearful of traumatising DD and myself!

Does anyone know about swimming - should I opt for verruca sock. Where do you even get them from, anyway (other than Ebay/amazon) ?

Ikickedthetyres Wed 25-Jul-12 10:42:32

JJB have verucca socks

piratecat Wed 25-Jul-12 19:13:51

tried the duct tape and banana skin. didn't work. left the alone and they healed themselves after about 5 weeks.

CharlieBoo Wed 25-Jul-12 21:05:35

Have been doing te Bezuca stuff on ds age 7 for about a week and tbh it looks worse... What do I have to do with the duct tape?

Kellamity Wed 25-Jul-12 21:07:53

Duct tape is the latest advice I believe but the bazooka gel worked on DDs recently.

mazzi2fly Wed 25-Jul-12 21:10:06

My DD (7) also has a verruca and I've looked for verrucca socks for swimming but I've only found size XL - no good on a child's size 11 feet!

We tried covering it with a plaster for swimming but by the time she had walked to the pool side, it had come off. She told the teacher and she didn't seem very perturbed.

So I'm afraid I've just left it so far. I might try Duct tape though? Do I just keep it covered for a few days?

llynnnn Wed 25-Jul-12 21:10:35

I bought one of the products to freeze dd's off, tried it once (after much persuasion!) and it hasn't done anything?

Watching this thread with interest? What's this duct tape method please? smile

RoxyRobin Wed 25-Jul-12 21:17:43

Duct tape worked on my stubborn little buggers (verrucas, not DCs!).

I was amazed - was total sceptic and only tried it as a last resort.

You can google for guidance on how to use it.

RoxyRobin Wed 25-Jul-12 21:20:50

Just shove little patches of tape on the blighters and replace it when it becomes unstuck.

The centre of the verruca gets soft - I'd gently scrape the soft bits out with the pointy end of a metal nail file. I persisted for about six weeks and eventually the wretched things disappeared for good.

CharlotteWasBoth Wed 25-Jul-12 21:21:46

We got prescription strength verruca liquid from GP and also went to the verruca clinic to get it frozen off. It worked.

Sidge Wed 25-Jul-12 21:24:29

Warts and verrucaes are caused by a virus so until the immune system 'dampens down' the virus nothing really gets rid of them.

The treatments can make them smaller and more comfortable.
Chemical treatments can burn the surrounding skin so you need to use them with care.

NoComet Wed 25-Jul-12 21:37:20

I work on the ignore them principle.

I tried everything to get rid of mine as a student, just made it hurt.

Eventually your body seems to fight them off.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 25-Jul-12 22:45:01

Thanks for all your thoughts. I tried JJB for V sock, but as with mazzi2fly, their stock was all HUGE! Tried Boots, Superdrug and the leisure centre also but to no avail. Mentioned it to swimming teacher who said that no one seems to bother about them anymore so to not worry. Said to not use duct tape in the pool as she thought it would come off.

So, if your child had a swimming lesson in %&*^*&^$ pool today and bought home a verruca - I apologise!
(NB she did wear flip flops in showers and at side of pool, I do have some decency!)

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 25-Jul-12 22:45:37

Oh, and she is now sporting a duct tape plaster, so fingers crossed.

WildWorld2004 Wed 25-Jul-12 22:50:29

My dc has had verruccas for probably about 6 months now. We have tried bazukka and scholl but neither worked. They seem to be spreading (on her feet not on mine though). I tried to make an appointment but was told that the gp wont do anything.

Tried swimming sock didnt work. Dc couldnt swim as they were too big next size dwn was too small.

Im off to google duct tape.

AWimbaWay Wed 25-Jul-12 22:59:00

I can never get the duct tape to stick, I even went and bought super expensive stuff to see if it helped, still fell off after 3 minutes.

I've had a wart on my finger for 23 years, I keep being told they go on there own eventually but mine's certainly taking it's time. Dd1 also has two warts that she hates because her friends ask her what they are, can't get the tape to stick on her either confused, must be doing something wrong?

AWimbaWay Wed 25-Jul-12 23:00:48

*their own, I am always putting there instead of their angry.

nocake Wed 25-Jul-12 23:06:12

The scientific evidence is that there are no treatments that get rid of veruccas more effectively than doing nothing. It can take a while for them to go but unless your immune system is compromised they will disappear eventually.

moonbells Wed 25-Jul-12 23:27:33

I caught a pair of good ones from a soft play (had to go in after DS and had no socks with me) and it took about 6 months to 'persuade' them to go. Just bought bog-standard Scholl verucca gel, a waterproof plaster roll and made sure I always had a sock on to ensure the plaster stayed put. They did look horrible but finally went (phew). I'd never had one up to that point!

The plaster probably did it, really. It's really flexible but waterproof stuff I found, so very like duct tape, while actually being comfortable.

If I'd had to go to a pool, I'd probably have done something drastic like supergluing a piece to my foot, but obviously wouldn't do this to a child!!!!! grin

steppemum Thu 26-Jul-12 01:48:07

ds had a massive one on his foot that was uncomfortable. I got some bazucca gel and followed the instructions and it went in a week. Looked pretty strange as it went through the process, you need to rub/scape off the dead skin. It gets a large area of whitish rubbish round it. Then suddenly it came off and was gone.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 26-Jul-12 14:57:05

I think amazon has verruca socks.

Nocake is correct about no treatments really working.

The whitish area you get with bazuka is actually an acid burn from the gel.

AWimbaWay Thu 26-Jul-12 15:30:45

I'm feeling rather upset by the news of no real cure, I was hoping this might be the year I finally got rid considers just gouging the thing out with a scalpel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now