Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Mosquitoes - your strategies? allergic like reaction

(8 Posts)
smilesandsun Sun 15-Jul-12 11:54:13

My 4yr old is highly attractive to mosquitoes, I use bug repellant when in warm climates on holiday always and if she is covered in it it seems to work. However we've just come back from holidays where she was attacked over night despite air conditioner on and blankets on as well, none of us were bitten. She comes up in big welts that last a week or more and they are itchy and uncomfortable. I use an after bite lotion and also an antihistamine to help with the itch. Next holiday I'll take a pug in for the room but hopefully someone has a better solution for me (fingers crossed)

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what I could try to:
(a) help prevent the bites, Multi vitamins? Creams? anything really
(b) help deal with the after affects of a bite

thanks in advance!!
smile

Longdistance Sun 15-Jul-12 12:24:13

Hey. I suffer with mossie bites too, and it sucks.
You can buy Piriton for children.
I do have a little gadget, that makes a squeaking noise, that sounds like a female mossie, and it stops mossies from coming near you. It seems to work, as I live in Oz, and it's mossie central here.

smilesandsun Sun 15-Jul-12 19:39:19

thanks for the hint, I've not hear of the gadget you mention.

BornToFolk Sun 15-Jul-12 19:46:53

Poor thing! I sympathise as I always react badly to mossie bites. The best stuff I've found for putting on them is anything with ammonia in. It stinks but it gets rid of the itch.
I also bought some Mr Men bite and sting plasters in Boots. They were really for DS but he ended up with no bites so I used some! I didn't find them particularly soothing but they were good and sticky and stopped me stratching, particularly at night.

Also, some people swear by Avon Skin So Soft products as mossie repellent. I've never tried it myself but might be worth a go.

smilesandsun Sun 15-Jul-12 19:56:54

thanks Borntofolk, I'll have a look at the avon products.

Whereisegg Wed 10-Apr-13 20:27:20

I'm commenting very late on this I know, BUT last summer every single bite I had, became huge to the point I thought the skin would split, if on foot I couldn't get shoe on etc.
Anyway, dr prescribed ab's but obviously did nothing for prevention.
My chemist who sorted the pills for me saw the bites and gave me some amazing advice.
He is from SA and had participated in a study regarding high dose vit c and bits and advised I try 4 pills a day instead of 1 (200mg I think) and I tried this once ab's had run out and I got another huge bite.
To my amazement, not only did it work to reduce the size & discomfort quickly, I did not get bitten again whilst taking them.
I would thoroughly recommend you research this and mention to your gp of course if of interest to you.

LoveSewingBee Wed 10-Apr-13 22:18:22

There is special mosquito repellent clothing which reduces the need for Deet.

Craghoppers Nosilife seems very good.

surfmama Thu 11-Apr-13 09:05:46

apis mel 30 works brilliantly. I get huge swellings and they go down instantly with this. brewers yeast is supposed to put them off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now