Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Strawberry birthmark

(12 Posts)
rizzo24 Tue 12-Jun-12 19:35:19

My 3 1/2 year old little girl has a 10p sized strawberry birthmark on her back that she had since she was about a week old. She's just noticed it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and is really upset by it. She has a twin sister so she knows not all children have it. I know they often disappear by the age of five but I don't want to promise her this in case it doesn't and I have no idea how to handle it. I don't want to belittle her feelings, or tell her she's silly for being upset but I don't want to make her really badly self conscious about it either (obviously). Anyone have any idea what I can say to her to make her feel better and not worry about it?

DeWe Tue 12-Jun-12 19:44:34

It's a fairy kiss isn't it? She was kissed by a fairy just after she was born.

rizzo24 Tue 12-Jun-12 19:52:05

I love that! Thank you! The other twin has a mole, I can tell her the same thing so they both feel special!

devonsmummy Tue 12-Jun-12 19:56:25

If one has a birthmark & the other a mole could you tell them it's where they were cuddled up together in mummy's tummy?

My DD , 3 in September, has a mole the size of two 50p's on her ankle , she's tried to wash it off a few times but hasn't been too bothered by it yet.

EverybodysSleepyEyed Tue 12-Jun-12 19:57:18

My DS has one on his face - it is quite small and not as red as it used to be but he is over 5 and it doesn't look like it's going

When he asked what it is I told him it was his strawberry. He now tells people that he was eating lots of strawberries one day and one stayed on his chin!

I just tell him that it's his special strawberry and makes him unique.

As she is a twin could you go down the 'unique' route?

shitmagnet Wed 13-Jun-12 14:45:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rizzo24 Wed 13-Jun-12 18:45:23

Thanks everyone. She does love strawberries!!

Jellybean14 Wed 29-Jul-15 18:44:37

My 8month old has a very large strawberry birthmark on her breast ( covers the nipple). I've been to see a speacliast and they say it won't disappear and will need removing when she's a teenager. Has anyone had this with their kids and it has disappeared? I'm worried that as she gets older she'll get self conscious and perhaps bullied as it's on the breast! I know how horrible kids can be

EggOnTheFloor Wed 29-Jul-15 18:48:35

My baby had quite a large strawberry birthmark across one of her ribs. It was raised and I thought it would be permanent.

However, it has all but disappeared, 5+ years down the line. I was worried by it when she was born and the helpful (not) HV told me it would need removing too, but now it has gone I kind of miss it!

We called DD's a strawberry, it was shaped like one too.

bestguess23 Wed 29-Jul-15 18:51:08

I was told it was the mark put on me in heaven so my mum and dad recognised which baby was theirs. My mum then pointed out anything individual on some of my friends to prove everyone has one- a cowslick, a hearing aid, freckles... Anything really.

Imnotaslimjim Wed 29-Jul-15 18:51:16

My DD had one on her scalp, and as she was almost bald until she was 3 it was very obvious. It suddenly started fading when she was 4 and within 2 months it was completely gone

Even if it doesn't go though, I'm sure she'll be fine with it once she's used to it being there

tobysmum77 Thu 30-Jul-15 06:48:32

My 6yo still has her similar sized one or maybe slightly bigger on her arm so they don't always go by 5. Is your dd's generally visible? My dd's is when she's in short sleeves including at school and it is yet to really cause a problem. I found it got easier once she was able to articulate and explain what it is to be honest. And bizarrely the only nasty comments (and they were very few) I have ever been aware of were when she was tiny. I guess if your daughters is less visible she hasn't really been aware of it.

Now if anyone asks she gives them a slight hmm and explains in a patient voice like they arent that bright that its a strawberry birthmark erm obviously didnt you even know that? Then she gets on with playing. If asked she likes her birthmark and doesn't want it to go........ I honestly forget she has it until I read threads about them wink .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now