Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

10 year old DD with vaginal pain and itching

(13 Posts)
hairybeast Sun 10-Jun-12 12:30:32

Has been going on for about 3 years. Normally happens once every few months but has been happening every night for the past 5 nights.

She describes it as starting with a feeling like she has bubbles inside her and a stomach ache. She then experiences an intense burning/itching sensation which is really quite painful for her. She normally ends up in tears fidgeting about as she can't sit still. She says it sometimes comes in 'waves' but other times it's continuous. The thing I find quite bizzare is that it only really happens late at night and she's often woken up by it.

She normally sits in a warm bath for about 20minutes and it goes but this isn't helping any more. We've been to the doctors a few times, she's been examined once but only externally and the pain is inside. She's been given a course of antibiotics and been prescribed Canesten twice but neither have had any effect.
I've bought her Femfresh to wash with so she's not using any harsh soaps.

We're going back to the doctors tomorrow but i was wondering if anyone had experienced similar or had any idea what it could be?

IndigoBell Sun 10-Jun-12 12:32:10

Candida?

Aftereightsaremine Sun 10-Jun-12 12:34:22

Is she drinking enough water? Thrush?

Lozario Sun 10-Jun-12 12:35:33

Could it be this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proctalgia_fugax%23section_2

(sorry am on phone so can't do a prettier link!)

Housewifefromheaven Sun 10-Jun-12 12:35:59

Hi my daughter used to suffer with this too. I used sudocrem. She grew out of it grin

Lozario Sun 10-Jun-12 12:36:57

If that didn't work google: Proctalgia fugax

moogalicious Sun 10-Jun-12 12:43:52

thread worms? They can enter the vagina and cause intense itching and discomfort late at night.

hairybeast Sun 10-Jun-12 13:07:29

After she's been prescribed the antibiotics and Canesten for Thrush whichg did nothing to help.

Housewife the pain is inside so would putting cream on the outside help?

Lozario I just googled and spoke to DD and she sid it does sound quite similar, will mention this to docs tomorrow.

Moog, this also sounds like it could be the problem so will also suggest this.

Thanks everyone, no idea why I didn't ask on here sooner! smile

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 10-Jun-12 13:19:17

Vulvitus? Sorry about spelling sure some one will know what I mean blush think treatment involves some kind of cream though but internally .

kalidasa Sun 10-Jun-12 13:29:10

I got thrush a lot as a child so it can happen, especially if a bit run down. I used to get cystitis too. Does it hurt when she pees? It can be hard to tell the difference between a sore urethra and a sore vagina as the stinging is so close and the whole area can end up inflamed. Might be worth treating as for cystitis though you'd expect that to last a bit longer. Do prep her carefully for the doctor stuff, I was very distressed by examinations for this sort of thing at her age, especially as it was so sore down there when they did it.

I agree that night-time only sounds worm-related. Hope you sort it out.

Lozario Mon 11-Jun-12 13:08:16

OP what did the doc say?

loopylou6 Mon 11-Jun-12 15:43:10

Absolutely bet its thread worms

Mygirls2014 Wed 05-Nov-14 09:50:31

Hi I hope ur still active on this site Iv joined because I carnt belive how much ur daughters situation is exactly the same as mine my daughter is 10 and has gone through the same thing since she was 5 if you ended up with a result please can you help me with any advice thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now