Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

help - When do you start panicking because of stomach bug?

(9 Posts)
BlueberryPancake Mon 06-Feb-12 10:30:45

DS, 6 yo, was sick at:
midnight
1 am
2 am
3 am
4 am
6 am
and three times since we got up at 7. He will keep nothing nothing down even teaspoons of water. He is pale, shivery, hot, cold, sleepy, can't sleep, lethargic. I've had my share of stomach bugs with my two boys over the years but never that bad. What should I do? I have tried to give him rehydrating sachets 5 mils at a time every 15 minutes, but he vomits that too. what would you do?

craziedaisy Mon 06-Feb-12 10:38:24

It is such a worry when they do this. My son had the Rotavirus last year when he was 4 and needed to go into hospital to go on a drip.Like your son he just couldn't keep anything down. I would call the doctors and explain that you are worried about dehydration. They will be able to check him over and see how dyhyrdrated is. When was the last time he had a pee? Has he got diarrhea too?

When he was first admitted they did try using a syringe to get him to take tiny amounts of fluid into his mouth, but it still didn't work. The drip helped him pick up much quicker though.

Hope the vomiting stops soon.

bugsonbuns Mon 06-Feb-12 10:39:43

I would be doing as you're doing and keep giving him a few ml every 15min. And apart from that I'd phone the Dr and get their advice about what to do. Have you given him paracetamol or ibuprofen? Sometimes fevers tend to make my DS chuck up so if you can reduce that then maybe the sickness might subside enough for him to rehydrate a little. I guess the problem is dehydration - so look out for the signs - his pee being too dark, or not peeing for extended periods. Sounds like a gastric flu - and proper flu rather than bad cold - my DS had flu once and it was surprising just how awful he looked, really sleepy, hot/cold and sick. But I'd want to just get some advice from the Dr's just as what to do for the best.

craziedaisy Mon 06-Feb-12 10:44:24

Just to add I was told in hospital not to give nurofen just calpol as when you have a tummy bug nurofen can cause more problem for the tummy.

moonmother Mon 06-Feb-12 10:49:03

Try him with ice pops or lollies- I know it's not the time of year but just sucking small amounts gets liquid down him.

Hope it stops soon- it's horrible seeing them like this sad

Francagoestohollywood Mon 06-Feb-12 10:59:36

Stomach bugs are awful, and they knock children (and adults) down for six. Expect a slow recovery, it took ds a week to feel well after a bad vomiting/diarrhea last year.
If he is still vomiting after midday, I'd call the doctors as usually the peak of the vomiting never goes longer than 12 hrs.
Try him on very sweet chamomile tea.

DeWe Mon 06-Feb-12 11:46:28

I might take him to A&E if it's still continuing.

I took ds to the doctors when he was 20 months and been sick about similar. He curled up in a ball on the floor and fell asleep. GP told me to go straight to A&E and when I said I'd go home and get the car (5 minutes walk away) he wanted to phone an ambulance. shock. He's usually totally calm and placid, so to see him acting like that was a bit of a shock.

Of course ds stopped vomitting as soon as we were there, but he was very dehydrated.

BlueberryPancake Mon 06-Feb-12 11:48:15

OK has not been sick since I posted this and is taking sips of rehydrating liquid. He looks better and has just had a wee. Spoke to GP she has an appointment for us if he doesn't get any better but it's quite far, I don't have a car and it's too icy for him to walk all that way. Thanks averyone

angelacameron Sun 01-Nov-15 20:05:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now