Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fructose Malabsorption

(3 Posts)
Maristela Mon 23-Jan-12 21:21:59

Our 5.5 yr old DS has just been diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption.
We are waiting to see the dietician so have been advised not to make changes just yet. I've been looking on the net and have seen lots of different advice/information and was just wondering if anyone has got experience of FM?
Thanks.

MsAM Wed 25-Oct-17 14:10:21

My husband has it. It is a pretty full on condition, so you definitely want to get a breath test done to make sure it is that before you start radically altering everyone's diet. If your DS does have it then there is a great app from Monash Uni, which I swear by and a host of decent websites. I like www.fructosefreecooking.com but there are 100s of others on the web. Honestly, how did we survive before the internet?!

AVeryBigHouse Sat 28-Oct-17 00:01:06

Yes, both of my daughters have it and we suspect my husband does too (he's not been tested).

It's a lot to get your head around at first but you soon get used to it. We started with a total elimination and have gradually been able to introduce things back. I think the most frustrating thing in the beginning is that food isn't labelled as containing fructose (unlike lactose ).

Any questions, just ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now