Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Impetigo

(6 Posts)
Woodlands Tue 25-Oct-11 09:51:49

Took my 15 month old to the GP yesterday about something else, but he picked up on a rash on his face (which I assumed was dry skin/eczema and have been applying Diprobase to) and said he thinks it's impetigo. He prescribed Fucidin cream which I applied last night and this morning, and it already looks better. However I sent my DS off to nursery this morning without thinking, but have just googled (yes am meant to be working) and found you're meant to keep kids off nursery with it until they have been using the cream for 48 hours. oops! Oh well, not much point picking him up now, and he's had it for a week or two already anyway.

TBH I'm not sure it is impetigo anyway - it's not as red/yellow/angry as the pics I've seen online.

ANy other impetigo advice?

hayleysd Tue 25-Oct-11 09:54:28

You really should notify the nursery as its highly contagious, if they allow him to stay they can be extra careful not to allow children to share things that go near their mouths as it can be passed on flannels, towels etc.

4madboys Tue 25-Oct-11 09:58:50

err you should call the nursery and they may want you to go and collect him, am sorry but one of my children caught impetigo at nursery and unfortunately it took the cream and several courses of oral antibiotics for it to go away, it was a NIGHTMARE and i would be very annoyed tbh if i was a parent with a child in the nursery your ds attends!

and yes there are procedures to follow with flannels, towels etc as it is very contagious!

Woodlands Tue 25-Oct-11 10:03:22

Ok will give them a call! Should have checked this last night really, it didn't occur to me.

4madboys Tue 25-Oct-11 13:36:27

actually woodlands your gp should have told you this! so its not your fault, my gp made it very clear that ds was not to go to nursery etc, i thought most would tell you that it was contagious, so the gp is at fault tbh.

Woodlands Tue 25-Oct-11 13:48:20

Yes, he should have done. Though I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about anyway - having looked at it again I'm really not sure it matches up to what impetigo looks like, I could have sworn it's just a patch of eczema. But anyway he's not due to go to nursery again till Friday. Unfortunately if it is/was contagious he was probably passing it on to other kids yesterday/Friday anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now