Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hand, foot and mouth?

(7 Posts)
Issy42 Mon 24-Oct-11 21:01:25

DD's nursery has a hand, foot and mouth outbreak. She has spots on her bottom which have gradually been spreading over weekend and now reached knees. Also noticed one blister on the side of her big toe this evening, but she got new shoes today, so could be from those (or from the old ones which broke and were falling off).

Haven't noticed anything anywhere else though and even though she has felt a bit hot a few times, the thermometer insists she's fine. Doesn't seem to be feeling ill either. I initially though was nappy rash or eczema, which has flared up recently, but definitely looks like small spots. Think she may have one of her back teeth coming through too, just to confuse me further!

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Mon 24-Oct-11 21:19:03

My DD got this earlier this year, and only had it on her bottom. The only reason I took her to the GP was because a friend's dd had had it diagnosed and I was pregnant.

Apparently it is common around the bottom and will spread down to the knees. DD had nothing on her hands or feet though.

She was a bit grouchy, but that was it really. Friend's dd really suffered though, went back onto purees due to mouth blisters and had to have antibiotics for something.

Issy42 Mon 24-Oct-11 22:55:24

Thanks BabyBelly. Maybe she does have it then. Did you have to keep your dd off nursery? NHS says ok for them to go once they're feeling well, but since she hasn't felt ill in the first place not sure when she can go back. May take her to docs tomorrow, if I can get an appointment.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Tue 25-Oct-11 10:50:15

We were on hols so nursery wasn't a consideration. I did call them and let them know though so they were aware there might be an outbreak (she caught off a non nursery friend).

I can't imagine I was hugely popular blush smile

catonlap Tue 25-Oct-11 11:00:45

My dd has it too. She's off nursery this week on holiday anyway but they only have to be off if unwell which often is not an issue. My dd had a slight fever for 24 hours at the start but now nothing other than the rash. The whole room at nursery has been spotty the week previously so I had been waiting for it!

Issy42 Tue 25-Oct-11 15:02:39

Thanks for your replies. She does have it, doc confirmed this morning. Nursery won't let her back until it's cleared shock.

She has quite a few sores in her mouth that have appeared today. Luckily fell on first day of my dad's two days off work, so mum on her way now from Scotland (a nice 6-hour trip for my dad to bring her here and same again for him to get back tomorrow). I'll have to work half days too as mum has health issues and can't cope with a full day. Also have to find £100 to pay for dad's petrol, feckin nursery!

Issy42 Tue 25-Oct-11 15:06:02

Sorry, was in p****d off at nursery mode there and didn't respond properly to your replies blush

babybelly - I felt the same when dd got a stomach bug earlier this year and gave it to the whole nursery.

catonlap hope your dd is better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now