Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Conjunctivitis - one year old

(3 Posts)
FHaran Mon 24-Oct-11 16:51:23

Hi there, my little boy has conjunctivitis. Does anyone know how long this lasts? The doctor gave me drops today which are tricky to get in. Many thanks.

Karoleann Mon 24-Oct-11 18:06:33

Usually 4-5 days, usually clears up fine without drops too so don't worry.
Its easier to get drops in if you lay baby down and put the drop in the inner canthus - which is the pointy bit of the eye next to the nose. The drops will drain into the eye by themselves if you keep him still for a few seconds.
Make sure you wipe away any crusting on the lids too as this will reduced the bacterial load in the eye.
It can be quite contagious so wash your hands thoroughly after touching his eye and make sure any siblings don't touch too

4madboys Mon 24-Oct-11 18:11:43

are you still bfeeding? only if you are you can use some bmilk to clean his eyes and that will help as well, its great for conjunctivitis. if not cooled boiled water and cotton wool, clean water and cotton wool for each eye but it should clear up quite quickly with the drops and i do what karoleann says about putting it in the bit of their eye next to their nose when they are lying down,e ven when they are asleep if you have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now