Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Is this measles

(5 Posts)
tryinghardtogetmoving Mon 24-Oct-11 16:31:31

My DD is 17 and has a slight rash on her stomach and back. She has complain of headaches over the last few days but not enough to stop her going to college or her part time job.

However her college has contacted us all as some students are getting measles. She has had the MMR vaccines.

So Q1 can she get measles after having all the vaccines?

2. Do I have to stop her mixing with people in case she has measles or may it be something else. My feeling is if in doubt she should stay away from other people.

3. Would she feel more poorly if this was measles and am I being over cautious keeping her away from friends (and having to deal with majore sulks from her instead grin)

3. The GP was no help and didn't answer the about questions!!

tryinghardtogetmoving Mon 24-Oct-11 16:32:00

about Above sorry!

beautifulgirls Mon 24-Oct-11 21:45:49

She really should contact her GP and get checked out properly here if there is any chance it is measles.

bumbleymummy Tue 25-Oct-11 08:24:04

Hi trying,

Yes it could be measles even if she has been vaccinated - they aren't 100% effective.
Some cases can be milder than others so she wouldnt necessarily be really sick with it. Cases in the US were spread because people continued going to work etc because they didnt realise they had it!
I would definitely keep her away from other people and get the GP to test for it. I think there's a swab test they can do. Best to be cautious if there is an outbreak.

tryinghardtogetmoving Tue 25-Oct-11 09:09:33

Thanks for your replies I will get back onto the gp this morning

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now