Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS being sick but desperate to eat - should I let him?

(8 Posts)
pARGHssTheTwiglets Mon 24-Oct-11 11:03:53

I always thought that you were supposed to not let a child eat whilst they're being sick but why is this? Is it just because they're likely to sick it up again? It's not actually going to slow down recovery, is it? DS was sick in the early hours of the morning and couldn't even keep water down. But in the last 2 hours he's kept water down and is now begging for food. If I let him have some I know there's a good chance he'll throw up again but he is so hungry that I'm thinking maybe just let him eat and so what if he chucks it up. What should I do?

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Mon 24-Oct-11 11:06:05

Let him eat if he wants to. Something easy to digest (no fat no meat), and not too much at the same time.

JarethTheGoblinKing Mon 24-Oct-11 11:09:42

If he's hungry I'd let him have some toast and see what happens. Think about when you're ill - if I'm still being sick the idea of food just makes me feel worse, but I know I'm on the mend when I start feeling hungry.

Just easy stuff though, toast, bread, fruit (no dairy/fat/meat etc)

pozzled Mon 24-Oct-11 11:11:15

I always let my DD eat, but something bland like toast or crackers.

SazZaVoom Mon 24-Oct-11 11:13:22

I always let DD1 eat. Sometimes she was sick again, but not always. DD2 never wants to eat when she is ill.

Hope he recovers soon smile

marriednotdead Mon 24-Oct-11 11:21:18

Poor thing. Try a slice of toast with jam, no butter. That or plain mashed potato. That's what always helped my DCs.

Hopefully he will bounce back very soon smile

AMumInScotland Mon 24-Oct-11 11:26:47

Something nice and bland - no meat, no dairy, not too rich - is most likely to stay down. Toast, crackers etc are traditional. It'll either settle or not, but it won't make anything worse. Dairy is the worst for aggravating it, so avoid that.

pARGHssTheTwiglets Mon 24-Oct-11 11:59:50

Thanks all. I'm used to giving toast or crackers the following day but it just seemed weird to be giving it after 2 hours! I gave him some Cheddars (that's all he wanted and they are just like crackers really, sort of grin) and they've stayed down at the moment so fingers crossed.

MumInScotland, thanks for the confirmation that it won't make him worse!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now