Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

can anyone recommend a good cough syrup

(4 Posts)
kinkles Mon 24-Oct-11 10:42:03

My 8 yr old has just been in hospital twice for pneumonia. She has been unwell for the last month. Now she is allergic to penicillin.
The infection has left her with an awful hacking cough and we are told it will with us for some time. Ive tried several brands but nothing really helps and sometimes she coughs so hard she is sick. Help.

Lizcat Mon 24-Oct-11 14:25:10

I always thought honey and lemon was as good as anything you can buy. As I understand it the moistening of the throat helps to reduce the cough.

beautyguru Mon 24-Oct-11 17:19:19

I dont know if this is true or works but I've heard of a few people who swear by it!...cover the soles of the feet with Snuffle Babe and put some socks on so it doesnt go all over carpet..no idea how but the coughing stops apparently! Worth a go when all else has failed.

dikkertjedap Mon 24-Oct-11 21:11:23

I would keep a close eye on her and have her checked again by a different doctor if it doesn't improve. It could be that pneumonia has not been totally eradicated, or maybe she has developed another respiratory tract infection, maybe she has asthma?

Does she have a blocked nose? Post nasal drip can cause coughing, best to try to sleep sitting up (very difficult, I know) and try to clear nose with nose spray (Sterimar for example).

Sipping warm chamomile tea (possibly with some honey, but this is not very good for teeth for obvious reasons), sucking licorice (health food store or Tesco).

Key thing, coughs can be an indication of a problem, so especially after having had pneumonia, keep a close eye on her. Hope she gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now