Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Brown snot in 4yr old with asthma - sign of more than just a cold?

(2 Posts)
whenwillisleepagain Mon 24-Oct-11 08:14:41

I've got another thread on here about DS starting Reception class and becoming a bit less resilient to colds - having managed well on low doses of becotide and reliever inhaler for last 2 years. GP has stepped him up to brown from beige becotide and advised me that latest guidance is you step up brown inhaler massively at bedtime for the 1st week of a cold, combined with some reliever inhaler. DS was wheezing Thurs bedtime, and I wonder now if I should have begun stepping up sooner - had clocked him sneezing but he seemed absolutely fine. I started it all the minute I heard him wheezing and the wheeze disappeared as soon as he had 4 reliever puffs.

He's a bit short of breath and having 4x blue puff morning and teatime. At night he's breathing ok and he's hardly coughing, certainly not productive. DH and I have both noticed though that the big snotty sneezes he's doing are mid-dark brown - sorry about TMI aspects of this post btw - but he's not coughing up anything. Any wheeziness sounds like it's very much snot in his upper airways rather than down in his chest. GP already thinks I'm a bit anxious but I completely don't want to miss the opportunity to get on top of something before it gets worse IYSWIM.

Sorry this is long, just getting used to a new phase in his wheeziness - GP reluctant to diagnose asthma.

whenwillisleepagain Mon 24-Oct-11 09:45:42

Now wondering why I ignored my usual rule of thumb in life - if I'm worried enough to consider posting on MN, I usually head to GP. Am doing so at 11.30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now