Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cold sores and babies- panicking a little

(5 Posts)
pozzled Sun 23-Oct-11 21:46:39

Hoping for a bit of reassurance, not sure if I'm being PFB even though this is DD2! She is 4.5 months. I've just realised that I may have a cold sore coming (that tingling feeling) and have kissed her loads of times today, as you do with babies. Not sure if I've kissed her since the tingling started, but obviously not since I was aware of it.

I know the cold sore virus can be very bad for babies, so could I have passed it on before I was really aware of it? And if so, is she old enough not to be too much at risk?

Madlizzy Sun 23-Oct-11 21:57:39

don't panic. I get cold sores and none of my four kids have contracted them from me. It's blister stage that's most infectious.

pickledparsnip Sun 23-Oct-11 22:03:50

I've yet to give one to my son. Don't panic!

reallytired Sun 23-Oct-11 22:12:28

I believe its the newborn stage when herpes is at its most dangerous. If you start treating the cold sore with zovirax you can stop the cold sore in its tracks.

pozzled Sun 23-Oct-11 22:12:54

OK, thanks! Now that I think about it, I don't remember DD1 ever having one. It's just having heard the stories it's hard not to worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now